Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Ash's Turkey Brine

Options
Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

The flavors are subtle but delicious.

[p]For a 12-16 lb. bird:

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup coarse salt
3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated, but not peeled, and bruised
6 large bay leaves
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped unpeeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons dried chile flakes
1-1/2 cups soy sauce
3 quarts water
Handful of fresh thyme sprigs [p]Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely. Rinse the turkey well, and put it in a large enamel, stainless steel or food-grade plastic pot or bucket. Cover with the cold brine and add more water if the brine doesn't cover the turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the brine. Refrigerate for 2-4 days, turning the bird twice a day. (When you turn the turkey be sure to empty the brine out of the body cavity before you turn it or it splashes everywhere.) [p]

Comments

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Cat,[p]I'm wondering how this brine process would work for a deep fried turkey? Any thought?
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I've never fried a turkey. But I've read that as long as you dry it very carefully before frying, a brined bird is fine. A lot of people seem to like injection instead. [p]Cathy
  • Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Cat,[p]I've always injected mine for deep frying, but am now curious about brining one before frying. May just pickup an extra one to brine, just to see what the results would be. I'll let you know after the experiment!
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I have brined a couple of birds for deep frying and it is certainly ok to do so. However, I prefer to just inject the turkey with beer and tabasco sauce (lots of both) when deep frying.[p]Let's us know how your efforts go.[p]Puj