Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice, practice, practic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just when you thought it was safe to light your new egg.......Yaaaa!!![p]Just got my egg last week and thought I would start with something easy......like PIZZA.........I threw out the book like every one told me to. :>)[p]I really thought I was doing things right...all the way up to the point where I slid it off the pizza stone and it kinda like...............stuck....:([p]I set the egg up with a full (eggscuse my lack of egg lingo)plate of lump. I then set 2 1" fire bricks on the grate for indirest cooking and set 2 more like this [__] which I thought would be fine. Set he (brand new) pizza stone on top. Brought the temp to 500/550 and cooked for 10 minutes then capped it off and let it stand for another 5. Top looked perfect. Bubbly (sp) getting brown and I thought "this ain't so hard" False newbie............
Result.....drum role please><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><<><><><><><><........Burnt crust.............Doh!!!!![p]This was a practice run and my boys and I are supposed to do this again tomorrow night. They weren't home tonight (Whew).[p]What I did for Friday night was double stack my fire brick on the bottom. Good idea...........[p]and this was a store bought crust......... No tiempo padra me....[p]All suggestions and wisw cracks allowed.[p]Mr.Dux

Comments

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    MrDux,
    HEY! you're doing fine,at least you got your pizza onto the stone! In my case that would have been a cause for great rejoycing All I got onto the stone was the sauce and huge amount of topping stuff.(the crust is still on the peel) All you gotta do is tell the kids that the stone is a new heavy duty pizza plate,pry off a hunk and chow down!BTW No one will ever make a wise crack about your misfortunes HE HE HE:~> Well, maybe a little one,(but only cause we like you!) Hang in there. Bob

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    MrDux,[p] You'll be fine, here's a few observations.
    - Personally, I think 550 is too hot. I stay at 500.
    - Capping the egg with the pizza in doesn't buy you
    anything. Remember, you're baking a pizza not roasting it.
    - Some sticking may be due to the new stone. Once it's
    seasoned it won't be sticky.
    - Practice shaking the pizza off the peel by using a folded
    towel. The motion is similar to shaking dice prior to
    throwing them.
    - If you have a pizza stuck to the peel, pick up one edge
    and blow under it, then shake the peel. That should free
    it up. Also, rub the peel with flour and sprinkle some
    yellow corn meal on it.[p]Good luck,[p]Chuck