Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

7 Takes on Turkey

BluesnBBQBluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited 10:49AM in EggHead Forum
There's a nice article in today's Washington Post on different ways of preparing, including brining, smoking, grilling and injecting. I don't agree 100% with their smoking method (they say to wrap it in cheese cloth), but it's a good read:[p]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A18111-2000Nov14.html
[ul][li]7 Takes on Turkey[/ul]
·

Comments

• BluesnBBQ,
    I'm a rookie to smoking, just getting started in the past year with a simple charcoal smoker, and I did a turkey last year with hickory wood but my recipe had me cover the bird with bacon to minimize the overcooking of the skin. This year I was going to try pecan and apple wood but am afraid the bacon is going to mask the flavor. If you don't use a cheese cloth, are their other methods to protect the skin?[p]Thanks.

·
  • Rookie,[p]Brine the bird, and rub the skin with butter, margarine or olive oil before cooking.

·