Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Do You need to Brine a Turkey Breast?

AlanAlan Posts: 72
edited 11:07PM in EggHead Forum
I caught Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast (w/wing meat) on sale and was getting ready to smoke it. I hve brined and cookd whole Turkeys in the past an like the technique.[p]I'm not sure if this Turkey breast has additional processing such as adding salt that would make brining inadvisable.[p]Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Alan

·

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Alan,
    The package should mention if there is any solution injected into it...or soaked in. If there is no mention on the package, I think the brining option is wide open. If you don't overcook the breast meat (165 optimum), then the results will be just fine without the brine. FWIW.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • BBQfan1BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Alan, as Nature Boy has suggested, my humble opinion is also to pass on brining a Butterball; they are already 'treated' and basted and not prime candidates for brining.

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Alan,[p]Nature Boy is totally correct, in my opinion. I do them often and never brine them since they are prebasted already. You will like the results! They absorb smoke very easily so be careful. I use a light olive oil coat on the skin to make it brown up nicely. 350 deg over a drip pan works well.[p]Tim

·
  • AlanAlan Posts: 72
    I decided to brine the breast, but used a lower salt concentration than I normally would for a whole bird. I used 1/2 cup salt + 1/2 cup sugar to a gallon of water overnite in the fridge. I rinsed it, rubbed it with olive oil, and put it on. It took just short of 3 hours at 275, and tastes great.[p]Thanks for all of the advice!
    Alan

·