Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

country ham

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, for what it is worth, I have found something it makes no sense to prepare in an egg.
We normally prepare country hams by soaking overnight in water and then cooking in a water bath that we change any number of times. At end, we pull off the skin and throw it in the oven for a glaze. After that, we guard the thing with a loaded pistol.
This year, I decided to try the egg. I had hung the ham and aged it an extra year, so I was really looking forward to it. I soaked the ham overnight and then cooked it low and slow until thermometer said it was done.[p]It was very pretty, but, when it cooled, I found no benefit to having smoked the ham at all, as the ham itself was so strong the smoke taste didnt exist. I found further that the ham was too salty and very difficult to carve. I say this as someone who is experienced with many many different hams. [p]I conclude that through no fault of the egg, the egg cooking process is not a good idea for a country ham. [p]If anyone disagrees, I would like to hear about it.

Comments