Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast

Options
jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At the moment, I have a half turkey breast in the Egg. I have the dome at 250. I don't have my probe in the meat but what do you think would be a good time to pull it or should I put the probe in. If so, what temp to pull the breast. [p]Jerry

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]I really like to shut down the vents when the internal gets to 140° then let it creep up to around 155°, when I pull it. It will climb 5° or 10° during the rest. [p]Good news, the USDA has lowered the recommended temps for poultry to 165°.[p]
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Jwirlwind, 160 for the breast, but if me, I would bump the egg to 325 and cook conventioanlly, like in the oven. Tom

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Good advise Tom...95° here I guess summer has arrived.
    Larry

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for posting this excellent advice! I did a search on "turkey breast" last night before cooking one, and I'm glad I came across your earlier post with this same suggestion. Works like a charm. It made it much easier for me to peg the temp I wanted. [p]In your other post, you suggested wrapping in foil and storing in a pre-heated cooler. Is this last step not necessary?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]It's not always necessary, I do prefer cooler resting, I just forgot to mention it in that reply. Resting lets juices re-distribute through the meat and even a short one helps keep them moist.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery