Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless butt

Options
Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kids coming home for the weekend. Wife has an 8 pound bone-in boston butt in the freezer so I asked her to get another one and I'd cook them both. She returned with a 14 pound boneless butt from Costco. [p]I've looked at the archives and reviews for boneless seem mixed. So what should I do? Twenty-two pounds is a lot of meat! Should I cook ONLY the boneless or should I cook them both? If I do them both should I cut the boneless in half to make them all similar sizes? [p]I also noted that several archived posts mentioned a netting to hold the boneless together. Mine does not have one and I haven't opened it to see if its a flat piece of meat. If it is, should I tie it up for cooking? [p]
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Haggis,[p]Not trying to be a smart a$$, but are you sure that 14# is one butt and not a two pack? I've had whole shoulders (picnic and butt) that are around that size.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • grEGG
    grEGG Posts: 19
    Options
    Haggis,[p]
    Probably two boneless butts. I buy my meat at Costco and that is the way they typically sell it. I use the same method as bone-in and just tie the butt up with a couple of strands of kitchen twine to keep it in a tight package. It cooks just fine.[p]Good Luck-grEGG

• Haggis
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I was astonished at the weight but haven't opened it up yet - you might be correct. If so, that resolves the "should I cut it in half" issue. [p]Thanks.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    grEGG,
    I've done the same with Costco butts but I've had second thoughts lately about tying them up for a low and slow. My reasoning concerns the 40-140 safe zone. On a bone-in the outer surface is where the bacteria are present and that gets up to temp in a safe amount of time. On a boneless one tied tightly there will be bacteria deep into the center that probably won't be in the safe zone in time. Like I say, I've done it and haven't gotten sick. Maybe someone a lot more knowledgeable than me can chime in on this. -RP

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    AZRP, if you're doing it for pulled pork, there is no need to have them tied up. The worst that will happen is that you will get a lot of bark and "chef's choice" (the part that is a bit tough and my wife does not like so I cut it out and put it in a separate container for me to snack on). You probably bring up a good point that tying up a roast that is going to be slow cooked is probably not the safest thing to do.

• Haggis
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I just HATE it when I raise a simple question and other people turn it into a question of existentialism more suited to Sartre than the Wise One! <LOL>
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Haggis,
    Sorry dude, I was bored at work. -RP

• Haggis
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Hmmmm . . . maybe you need to retire like me . . . LOL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Haggis,
    there is no need to tie, just put the cut side down and tuck the loose edges underneath.there is 2 in that package im betting. i usually start those at 275 dome and drop the temp down to 225 after about 3 or 4 hours

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Haggis
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks, that sounds reasonable. Would you also take advantage of the extra exposed surface to apply additional rub?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Haggis,
    i use a lot of rub, then mustard, then more rub. it always mellows nicely with a long cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it