Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Zip's Bourbon Chicken...doesn't get any better than this.

GretlGretl Posts: 670
edited 12:26AM in EggHead Forum
I used Zip's recipe (in the archives) for Bourbon Chicken; instead of using chicken pieces, I used the whole bird. I first brined a 7 lb chicken in a salt-sugar solution for 24 hours, then rinsed it well and dried it and left it in the fridge to sort of "dry out" overnight. In the morning, I put it in the bourbon marinade for about 4 hours. When the Egg reached a steady 350, I put the bird on a vertical poultry roaster with a small can of beer underneath (I used the little can from the pineapple juice) and coated the chicken thoroughly with more marinade, even putting some under the breast skin. In about 2 hours or so, the bird was SO juicy that the skin actually split in a few places. I had reserved some bourbon marinade which I heated up and drizzled over the chicken on the platter. Our guests were completely amazed and proclaimed it the BEST chicken ever! Thanks, Zip, for the great recipe.
Cheers,
Gretl

·

Comments

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Gretl,[p]Now THAT sounds great! Just ANOTHER thing I want to try![p]Smokey

·
  • Gretl,[p]This weekend I tried the bourbon chicken on bone-in chicken breasts. It is a winner. I didn't do the brine part. Now I'm thinking of trying it on a whole bird.
    ·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    char buddy ,
    I'm the Prophet of Brine these days. Give it a shot! Man, I'd like to do another one right now just to experience some leftovers. There wasn't even a shred left on the bone for the cats, who exhibited a real strong interest in trying it out, too!
    Cheers,
    G.

·
  • Gretl,[p]I tried and couldn't find the recipe for bourbon chicken in the archives. I suppose that I don't understand how to use it. HELP?

·
  • PRobinson, it's under Submitted receipes, but here's the link
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/poultry0175.htm

·
  • TractorTractor Posts: 283
    Gretl,
    I've never brined, but this method for chicken is going to have me smokin' this weekend! Thanks for the info.[p]Tractor

·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,430
    Why are you guys all talking so loudly?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,638
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,075
    uhhhhhhhhh, 15 years ago? lol
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,430
    Man I was just looking for a good bourbon chicken recipe, and this thread came up.  

I like the user name "Unknown" though.  Wish I'd thought of that.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 6,381
    image.jpg 31.7K
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE & MM
    One sorry Labrador
    ·
  • ClayWhite88ClayWhite88 Posts: 42
    Ok this is weird. I was looking at Bourbon Chicken recipes about 3 days ago. Guess I gotta give this a shot!
    ·