Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Costa Rican Pineapples Are In Season

RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited 9:31AM in EggHead Forum
While at the West Side Market on Saturday, I noticed that Pineapples from Costa Rica are in season. The reason that I mention this is that Costa Rican Pineapples are the best that I have ever tasted. They are big and juicy and sweeter than sugar. I only paid $2.50 for the large one that I purchased. They were Dole Pineapples. If you get a chance to try them, you will be in for a treat. Over the next month or so, Fresh Pineapple will be part my family’s diet.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

·

Comments

• YBYB Posts: 3,861
    clean-screen.jpg
    <p />RhumAndJerk,
    Pineapples do real good in a dehydrator,put a cherry in the center.We got our pictures back from Eggtoberfest,their is couple of you cooking on your mini egg.
    Larry

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Try Mike O's recipe (link below) - it's fantastic.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Grilled Sugar-dipped Pineapple[/ul]
    ·
  • BBQfan1BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Cat, I've tried these super-sweet pineapples (I think they called them 'Gold'in our local stores and markets) using Mike O's recipe, which has become a favourite around our house. I found them a little too sweet when matched with the butter and raw sugar, and maybe not as firm as regular pineapples. They are great on their own, but a bit of 'too much of a good thing' in the grilled sugar-coated recipe. Just my personal opinion; someone with a sweeter tooth than mine might just like the extra sweetness of these Costa Rican 'Gold's on the grill.
    BBQfan1

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    BBQfan1,[p]Thanks for the warning! I haven't tried the Costa Ricans on the grill yet. I also prefer not-too-sweet desserts. [p]Since these are so naturally sweet, maybe they'd caramelize with less sugar than the recipe suggests. Or how about adding some heat (a sprinkle of cayenne) to offset the sweetness? [p]Cathy
    ·
  • mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    RhumAndJerk,
    About the only thing that beats them is actually having the pineapples while sitting on a beach in costa rica! They happily drip all over you into the sand and you walk into the ocean water to rinse off. Maybe we can do a fest down there. Thoughts?

·
  • RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    MollyShark,
    That sounds heavenly! Costa Rican Coffee is also one of my favorites. The cost of a Costa Rican Eggfest would be way too much, but a nice thought any way. [p]At one time there was a company that was shipping Coffee Wood for smoking. Does any one know if they still exist?[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

·
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I remember when Javi was trying to get some free advertising on this forum to promote his coffee bean smoking wood. They pulled the rug out from under him in a hurry.[p]He is still in business at the link below.

[ul][li]Costa Rican coffee bean smoking wood[/ul]
    ·