Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Big Bird

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's getting to be that holiday time and the wife is real nervous about me cooking the turkey on Humpty. I have to sell her on a sure fire recipe. We usuallly have about 20 people over and cook a 20-25 lb. bird. I just read Puj's Turkey and it looks real interesting but I'd like to have barrage her with a multitude of choices. If I blow this in the words of Ricky Ricardo I'll have "some splaning to do".
Eggsperts help please.[p]Big Cat

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    turkey1.jpg
    <p />Big Cat,[p]I would always suggest doing any cook for practice before having to do your first with guests as judges. I can recall several - less than succesful cooks. My first turkey was done with too low of a dome temp and with too much smoke. I don't care for much smoke and turkey (foul in general) absorbs a lot easily. Your first question is how much smoke do you like?? If lots, then figure on a chunk of pecan. If little to none, then you'll be cooking at 350 with no wood added. [p]My wife brings home turkey breasts for Butter-Ball. They require only an olive oil coat on the skin to brown it well. I don't do anything but drop in on a V rack which is over a drip pan.[p]Tim
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Big Cat,[p]Here is a great recipe that is always rewarding. I do 12-14 lb turkeys using this recipe and give them as Christmas presents. I've only used it on a 25 pounder once, with equal success.[p]As a 25 lb turkey tends to be a bit tougher than a 14 lb one, I'd suggest you consider brining the bird. Brining is easy, with the only challenge being a monster bird.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Super Buzzard recipe[/ul]