Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

A Brining Question

FireballFireball Posts: 354
edited 4:34AM in EggHead Forum
I have been trying to answer this question by myself for some time now without much to show for it. I know brine is used for preserving food, and Humpty keeps the moisture in when we are barbecuing. When a chicken is brined what is purposes of the brine other than to enhance the flavor? I need some education here. Thanks
Fireball

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,399
    Fireball,
    WIthout getting into the scientifics (of which there are several links to articles posted by MikeO and others...I had them bookmarked but lost all my bookmarks)....[p]The other purpose besides adding flavor is to make the meat juicer. The cells do some osmosis type action with the water, and the result is always very juicy...even when overcooked. I've been squirted in the eye a few times while carving brined birds. I just think of the whole thing as magic, and leave it at that.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Fireball,[p]NB said it. Here's a good article.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Ready for Brine Time[/ul]
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    Cat,[p]Thanks for the link. It's a great read.[p]Puj