Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg modifications

Options
Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up my second Egg, a medium, at Waldorf ten days ago and noticed two things immediately. [p]a.) The dome thermometer is different than the one I got a year ago with my first Egg. Specifically the dial appears more "precise" whether it actually is or not. But more importantly, my first thermometer filled with moisture its very first night here while the second one has been in several storms with no moisture penetration at all. Does anyone know if BGE changed anything other than the dial that makes them more water resistant?[p]b.) My new Egg, a medium, has the spark screen installed. Put simply, I hate it -- its so tight in the track that it makes all adjustments at the lower vent a two-handed operation. I have to hold the screen in place with one hand while moving the outer door to my preferred position. Since I have my Eggs on a brick patio outside a brick house, I am giving serious thought to removing the screen totally. Do others have similar thoughts?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Haggis,
    1) They have used several types of thermometers over the years. Who knows....[p]2) There have been hundreds of thousands of Egg owners using them for years without the spark arrestor and not setting themselves on fire, so since it sounds like you aren't in a risky setup, you could easily remove the spark arrestor. Just exercise the usual care...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I ordered a new SS intake with the screen and replaced the slide vent with a 'Lucy'. Lucy is thicker than the BGE slide vent so it took a little fiddling to get it work.[p]Some things to try if you want to keep the screen:[p]Take a thin screwdriver and widen the 'track' that holds the screen and slide.[p]Try filing down/rounding off the edges of the slide vent.[p]Try bending the slide vent one way or the other - in small increments.[p]Apply some graphite.[p]Toy Man[p]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Haggis,
    The new tracks on the SS doors are wider to accomodate the 'extra' door, so you may find you can't control your air flow as you'd like if you remove it. I installed the screen door on my existing eggs and they're pretty tight but the peace of mind is better than the bother.

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    egret,[p]Hey egret, where'd you get just the screen doors? I tried bbq's galore and they only sold the entire replacement assembly (screen door included) and it was 30 bucks. I had heard the screen doors could be had for around 7.50
  • egret
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    My dealer has them for $6.95 for the Medium/Large. You should be able to get them at the mothership. If not, let me know and I'll send you one......two in your case.

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    egret,[p]I need to order several (2 for me, 1 each for my BIL and his brother, my dad, stepdad, stepbrother, boss, boss' boss) and that's just for starters. [p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    The mothership sells them. I got 2 smalls and 2 larges.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I got one for my large, and I agree it is tough to get both doors in and operation of the doors is now a pain.
    I took a screwdriver and tried to open up the slot where the spark screen rides, but it's still snug and takes two hands to operate.
    I'm going to e-mail the mothership to find out the cure.

• egret
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    I asked them to order in 20 of the large size, so there should be plenty. If money is no object, you can do what NW did........

• egret
    Options
    SuperDave,
    Mine are pretty snug as well, but workable. Someone suggested vegetable spray in the track. I haven't tried that, but it's sure not a permanent fix......

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    SuperDave,
    I haven't tried mine yet, but I saw one solution was to get a piece of wire that is slightly larger than the slide and force it down in with a screw driver to enlarge the gap.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    Too bad you're not near the Mothership or anything.[p]:)

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]I've been swamped and thought I'd ask around first. I am going to hilton head for 8 days starting saturday, but when I get back, I'll swing over there and pick up a bunch. Are you guys open memorial day? Otherwise, I'll come at lunch one day that week following memorial day.[p]
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Any kind of oil will gum up from the ash, etc.[p]I would recommend graphite or Moly.[p]Toy Man