Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coke and leftovers?

Options
CJ
CJ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some Spare Ribs the other day and they turned out pretty good.
BUT......the NEXT day they were like I was trying to eat my shoes.
Isn't there a method of using coke for leftover Ribs and Pulled Pork to help tenderize?? Or what is the best way to re-heat? Vacuum bag and boiling water?[p]Appreicate it....CJ

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    CJ,
    Sounds terrible, trying to eat something like your shoes. Well, foodsaver bags work great. You can seal 'em in the bag as soon as the ribs are cool enough to handle so they will not dry out. Sauce on the ribs will also help.
    Good luck,
    Clay

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    CJ,
    Clay is correct on the Food Savor for ribs for quantity, though personally I just wrap my leftovers in foil, refrigerate and then nuke a rib or two at a time for a daily snack. For me and my microwave 24 seconds on 70% is perfect!
    As for the Coca-Cola in un-sauced pulled pork I'm a big fan of it for reheating - it has nothing to go with tenderizing it. One 12 oz can in 3 to 4 lbs of p/p in a crock pot works for me. Also it has to be Classic Coke, not a diet one, nor a flavored one - plus a pepsi will not work - it's gotta be Coke. BTW everytime I post this trick I tell people to not reveal the secret to their dinner guests because just like ClayQ reacted with a resounding negative "yuck". Trust me the trick works fine!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RRP,[p]I actually like the classic Coke too, but my grandmother always swore by RC Cola because she made her "pop mop" with it. Other kinfolk used Dr. Pepper, for reheating and for ham glazes.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for the inputs..... CJ