Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic oven or too much smoke

Options
Tombo
Tombo Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok all of you experts.
Do you think that the ceramic oven effect is changed by the amount and time of black/smoke/glaze on the inside of our eggs? Do you think it changes from new to old? or the amount of build up on the inside. Do you think it still keeps our meats as moist?
Not that it really matters, cause the egg is the best ever but just thought I might open up some talk.
Do you clean yours? or leave it? Does it get better with age? like us?[p]Just curious.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• lou
    lou Posts: 16
    Options
    Tombo, I don't have a lot of experience with the egg myself, but from a pure physics viewpoint, I'd think that blackened inside is highly desireable. The reason for this is that black absorbs better the electro-magnetic spectrum, and re-radiates it better, too (not only spectrum-wise, but directionaly as well). Heat is a multi-faceted thing, but a lot of the heat effect you get from the ceramic egg is, in fact, infrared radiation.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lou,
    all i know is that when the dome thermometer says 350, it's about 350 in there.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lou
    Options
    stike, when the thermometer says 350 all it's telling you is that it's 350 precisely where the sensitive part of the thermometer is. Blackened reflection surfaces helps to ensure that the temperature inside the whole dome volume are 350 degrees.

• stike
    Options
    Lou,
    well. the tip is at 350. near the lump it's much higher. the ceramic is lower...[p]we get WAY to obsessed about which temp, where in the dome or at the grate, etc.[p]read an old recipe. "build a low fire...."[p]that'it.[p]the funny thing about thermometers is they suck us into worrying.[p]i have never seen a guy freak out because his gas grill went from 500 to 200 when he opened the lid. or heard too many 'serious' cooks ruminate on the cycling on/off of their electric ovens (which causes a nice little sine wave of the temp curve giving an average temp, not a constant temp).[p]and yet on a bbq forum, with natural lump charcoal, we actually waste time debating dome vs. grid, 225 versus 220, etc.[p]i vote for "chill out, make some ribs, and relax"[p]some folks get uptight and anal about specifics and perfection. i get uptight and anal about folks getting uptight and anal.

• lou
    Options
    stike, I agree that I was probably getting too technical on the subject, but Tombo did ask if a blackened inside was good or bad, and whether he should clean it or not.[p]So the short answer is black is good (note: I said "black," not "grungy"). But since it gets that way only minutes after closing the dome on a new egg, it's not something that anyone should worry about - unless they think they have to clean it.[p](Becoming an adequate cook/chef is my goal, but I am a physicist by training and trade - in my previous, pre-retirement, stage of life. I've even written a few scientific papers on heat sources as they relate to infrared radiation.)

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    stike,
    I couldn't have said it better. :) I agree with you 100% since some of my best cooks have not followed the "normal" methods regarding temperatures. After I got a remote digital thermometer, I noticed it made me much more apt to go 'fiddle' with the vents when I saw it moving up or down a few degrees. After a while I learned to ignore it except for several hours at a time, so now I only use it occassionally And for my low and slows, now I shoot for about 250~275 and I am happy with the results and everyone else is also. So, thats my $.02
    Ron.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Tombo, The day before I change out a fried gasket, I take the Egg to mega temps, This cleans just about everything, including the sides to an almost white/new look. I would only think the some of this black stuff help flying ash from bad lump to linger around.

• stike
    Options
    Lou,
    well i ain't gonna go tot to toe with a physicist!
    if you have hung around here long you prob'ly already know my M.O. is toi shoot first (my mouth) and answer questions later[p]as for cleaning, all i know is i think there was a guy here a while back who actually cleaned his egg once. wonder what became of him. nice guy, if misguided! hahaha

• Unknown
    Options
    Lou,
    very interesting posts, Lou. Thanks for sharing. The quality of the posts from smart folks such as you (whether or not folks agree), combined with the camaraderie between enthusiasts of l'Egg, make this forum one of the treasures of the internet. [p]~a lurker

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Lou,
    Interesting. So our eggs get better with age. Maybe my egg is worth more used than new? I'll never sell it though, keeping it forever.
    I enjoyed the re-radiation infrared emissions on my pork chops last night, man they did a great job!
    Have fun,
    Clay

• Tombo
    Tombo Posts: 46
    Options
    stike,
    Thanks to all for the thoughts and idea's.
    I think we get better with age :)[p]Tom