Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why did my pizza burn?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello :) I just tried a Di Giorno on the egg..top looked great...bottom was charcoal...
I put it on the pizza stone directly...400 degrees per the box...[p]Suggestions?[p]Thanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    jagajak,
    Next time, shoot for 500 degrees dome temp. before putting the pizza in. And, be sure the pizza stone is pre-heated along with the egg as it comes up to temp. Also, you should be doing all this with a plate setter in place! Do you have one of these?

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    jagajak,
    I did some DiGiorno pies on a plate setter and pizza stone at 450 like the directions say, and I didn't have any problem. How long did you preheat the stone? Two suggestions. First, you can cool the stone by wiping it with a damp, not wet, rag. Second, Spin used to recommend (I think this is right) that for DiGiorno pies, you put them on a rack on the stone, as opposed to putting the pie directly on the stone. Maybe Spin will see your post and refresh my memory.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • egret,
    OK Im gonna get killed for this...what's a place setter?

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    jagajak,
    Oh boy, I'm the one who's going to get burned for posting the answer in a previous post! Anyway, here is the answer : A plate setter is a ceramic piece with 3 legs that sits atop your fire ring and provides you with a nice heated ceramic mass that gives you even temperature in your cooking area and blocks the radiated heat from the coals, which is referred to as indirect cooking. You can get one from your dealer. I recommend one most highly for all cooking you do other than 'grilling', which is done directly over the coals.....

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    jagajak,[p]The problem is that your pizza stone is reaching higher than 400 degree temperatures and your frying the bottom before the top gets done. Rubbing it with a cool rag will not drop the temperature long enough to cook the pie. You need the plate setter or another pizza stone under the current pizza stone to act as an insulator from the direct heat of the fire.[p]Spin
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    egret,[p]A plate setter also raises your pizza cook to the opening level, a very nice location for inserting a removing a pizza.[p]Spin
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    jagajak,[p]When cooking indirect at 500 degrees, the temp below the pizza stone is probably closer to 1000+ degrees. That heat is directly transferred to the crust if you put the pizza on the stone.[p]I've only got a pizza stone, finally wised up and got the BGE brand after breaking two others. [p]I don't use a plate setter, basically I'm a glutten for punishment, and may buy one someday.[p]But here's what I do. I create an air space between my 'Papa Murphy's take and bake' and the pizza stone by using another grid.[p]Hope this helps you out, If you can, try to get the pizza as high into the dome as possible using a grid extender.[p]Scott