Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fresh wood

ChipperChipper Posts: 35
edited 3:13AM in EggHead Forum
I have just returned from pruning the apple and pear trees at my mom's house. I have saved some of the larger limbs to cut up and use in Mr. Egg as flavor smoke. Can the apple/pear chunks be used fresh, or is it better to let them season a little?

Comments

• Chipper,[p] Season them. Hopefully someone else can tell you for how long (I'm not exactly sure . . .)[p]MikeO
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Chipper, 6 months is the approximate time and use within two years for best smoke.
    C~W[p]

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Chipper,[p]Seasoning requires the sap to evaporate and the wood fibers to be dry. The process takes longer if you leave the wood in log form as opposed to cutting it into small chunks now. Make some chunks which should be ok to use in 4+ months if you have them in a dry warm place, chips could be used in 2+ months I bet. Longer is better.[p]Tim