Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hong kong sea bass - best fish i've ever made

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
a little background . . a couple of weeks ago i was at a restaurant and had something called hong kong sea bass. ..menu said: sea bass steamed on bed of lettuce with ginger and scallions and served with broth of sherry and soy sauce. ..frankly it was the best fish i'd eaten in a restaurant in many years ....new i had to duplicate it in the egg. .. [p]so. .. i bought a traditional oriental bamboo steamer (two level with lid). .. .ran some water all over it so it wouldn't get burned in the egg. .. set up my large egg with my wok ring and center fire, about 350 degrees dome temp. ..laid a big bed of fresh baby spinich and a couple of filets of sea bass on each of the steamer trays along with some slivers of fresh ginger and scallions. . .poured about 1 cup of sherry and about 1/3 cup of soy sauce into the cold wok and then set the steamer basket set in the wok over the liquid. ...set the whole thing in the wok ring and closed the dome for about 15 minutes ... . [p]pulled the entire wok set up out after about 15 minutes, careful not to lose the broth in the wok. .. .plated the fish on top of the wilted spinach (oh, btw, use lots of spinach, it really shrinks down). ..and the spooned some of the broth on top ... [p]my wife LOVED it .. .we agreed it may be the best fish i've ever made and ranks right up with some of the best egg food i've ever made. .. .[p]p.s. if you are coming to waldorf, i'm now planning on make this there. . .

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That sounds very tastey, and Waldorf would be the perfect event to sample this dish.
    By the way, being we are less then a week and counting, someone should start a thread on menu items for Waldorf. Im 95% sure of my menu, but dont want to duplicate too much.
    ST

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]With THAT intro, you best be bringin' a heap o' fish!!![p]See you there my friend![p]DD
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I'm a big fan of sea bass, it's been real hard to get the past few years. Its a great fish.

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]you know what time you're showing up. I want get a booth with youze and the spawn so I can see this up close and personal.[p]I'm thinking of doing that tandoori.[p]oao
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    aka mr. Earl,
    we'll be there for breakfast. ..doing some parmesian/pancetta tortes for breakfast ...then a cheese souffle or two, and finish up with the sea bass ... spawn will be doing her famous brownies this year. . . should be quite the show. . .and i'm sure we'll be close to wess and sally so we can do breakfast together. .. [p]you'll knock em dead with the tandoori!!!