Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LONDON BROIL

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a t/t method for london broil?[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I don't know if you have noticed any of the "Hot Tub" posts lately or not. They followed an article in Cooks Illustrated which specifically used london broil. It calls for bagging the steak in a zipper or vacuum bag and poutting it a 100° water bath for one hour, then grilling. This will pre-warm the meat to 80° or so. Your grilling time is really shortened and the steak will have a very uniform doneness. CI claims this method reduces any livery flavors associated with london broil.[p]Many folks here, including myself have had good luck with roasts, tri-tips, steaks and lamb chops. Don't know if anyone has tried on a london broil or not. Watch your cook time as it is really fast. A 2" thick steak will cook in 3 to 5 minutes depending on your personal doneness.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandi,
    The "hot tub" method would tend to wash off the exterior marinade
    and dilute the marinade already inside the meat. It might be OK for other non marinated meats but not a good idea for London broil.
    I start London broil indirect. When placing the meat on the grate I pour
    the reamining marinade (Lawrys) over the meat. The indirect heat lets
    the marinade cook without burning. Dome temp around 350. About
    halfway through I finish it direct. Just experiment a bit and watch your
    internal temp for the doneness that you like best.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Jalopy Bob,[p]Just curious, how does it "wash off" the marinade when it's in a foodsaver bag and not exposed to the water?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• thirdeye
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I was thinkin' the same thing.....[p]The last two times I tried this method I seasoned the meat first then vacuum sealed it. There was a nice aroma when I opened the bag, so the hot water must give the rub a little head start too. Without air in the bag it sinks easier too. The Foodsaver booklet claims that marinating in a vacuum bag takes less time due to the pressure. I might have to marinate the next thing I hot tub for just that one hour.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I read that Cook's Illustrated article. I haven't tried it, and hope I'm not mucking up the details, but I think you're supposed to salt it for around 4 hours before cooking. I think you salt it then wrap it and refrigerate for around 4 hours but up to a day. This is supposed to help with the livery flavor as the salt is partially drawn into the meat. Then you do the hot tub thing for an hour to get the internal temp up. Then they have you grilling over a 2 zone fire (more coals on one side...or a 3 zone fire with lots of coals on one end, small amount of coals in middle, no coals on other end...they also have a gas grill process which I didn't read).[p]Anyway, after the hot tub, they have you grilling over the hot zone direct but have you flip once per minute. I think this was to help prevent the meat from curling up. I think they said about 8 minutes with the lid open then over to the cool zone in the grill, close the lid, and roast to desired doneness.[p]I guess if I was doing this on an Egg I'd ideally use 2 eggs - one going hot and fast for the direct searing and then another set for more gentle roasting temps to finish it up. Or you could wait for the Egg to cool down for the roast ala T-Rex.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Oops...forgot to mention that they had you adding some oil and pepper (and maybe garlic?) after the hot tub and before the searing. Or maybe I should have just walked into the other room and picked up the magazine and then I could have posted more authoritatively rather than with my (weak) memory![p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• thirdeye
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I guess Midnight Smoker has tried the hot tub london broil. Here is the link.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

[ul][li]Click[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]You are correct about the salt and the turning combined with the hot water technique. The article was focused on reducing the livery flavor found in london broil and I guess I've never noticed those flavors until CI pointed that out. I don't know if salting is essential on other cuts or not, I did not do it the times I tried it. I have some bison sirloin steaks I might just try the full treatment on.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~