Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brining the buzzard - good idea?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,[p]First of all, thanks for all your great tips and recipes. My three-month-old Egg has turned out some great ribs, brisket, beer chicken, etc...[p]This weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) calls for turkey, and the "Super Buzzard" recipe (bird with spices and herbs under the skin, apple and orange inthe cavity) caught my eye. Would it be good or bad to brine the turkey first? If so, are there some good things to add to the brine, and some things to avoid? [p]This first-time briner/turkey-cooker thanks you in advance.[p]Peter

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    phuming,
    A simple brine with salt and sugar and/or honey will do wonders. You shouldn't need many seasonings in the brine if you will be doing the herbs and spices under the skin. If you do put spices in the brine, use similar ingredients as you will be rubbing with. My favorite brine is Brant's (from the beer butt recipe).....you could use his recipe minus the bay leaves and cinnamon, and it will be wonderful.
    Keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • phuming: by all means brine! and for as long as you cn on this short notice. Here's the recipe:
    1 Cup kosher salt
    1/2 lb brown sugar
    1 small jar of poultry seasoning
    1 tbsp Morton's Tender Quick
    Bring 1 gal of water to boil, add all ingredients and dissolve completely[p]In a large container submerge the bird in the above mixture plus enough cold water to completely cover the dude! I usually soak the thing in the refrif for 2-3 days, then remove, rinse and smoke on the cooker over pecan or fruitwood at abour 225 deg. Can take about 8-10 hours for a turkey, but WOW! it is GOOD!
    good luck! and Good Cooking!
    Brian