Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

more about my relic

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0927.jpg
<p />Thanks for the ideas from the other night, but as I said in that first post I already knew it was safe to use for cooking as I vaguely remember it in use in my Mother's oven. In studying it closer I found a patent number and tracked it clear back to August, 1931 and it in fact was called a "broiling device". Furthermore "The apertures enable heat and hot gases from the below lying flame to directly contact food placed on the liner. Additionally, the apertures drain drippings, barbecue sauce and the like..." I have since taken a file to an edge and I believe it is made of aluminum which probably has been hardened for strength or even an aluminum based alloy as it is heavier then what it might appear. Anyway I intend to try it soon on my egg as a shrimp and veggie grate.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    RRP,
    Whatever it is, it sho is pretty.[p]Spring "Holes Do Make A Difference" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Ron,[p]One thing I was thinking as I looked at the picture was, is that pressure treated lumber that your broiling device is sitting on? If it is you may want to give it another wash, though I am not sure what to use.[p]Be sure to let us know the results.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    RRP,
    Hummm, could be nickel alloy givin the fact that it has a heft to it. If it is, I believe its good for cooking. I have Nambe ware and it is nickel alloy and food safe.
    Clay

• RRP,
    The next tme you do some baking of bread or rolls flour the old
    "broiling device" up and make the top pattern of the bread or rolls with
    it. Il looks like it would make an interesting pattern on the baked goods.

• dixee6
    dixee6 Posts: 17
    Options
    did you by any chance perform a "magnet test". just for fun? just thought i would ask. it still looks cool.who knows? maybe you could patent your own grate with a cool design similar to the one you have since that one has patent numbers.......just throwing out ideas. later!
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    RRP,[p]I just think it is cool. I love stuff like that. Once a week, an old guy I worked with would bring a small something from his "collection." He would give us a few days to figure out what it is. This was before the internet was everywhere. By the end of the week he would tell us all what it is. That was lots of fun.[p]Thanks for sharing,[p]E