Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OOPS..I DID IT (CAN'T SAY...AGAIN) but...i did it..need advice

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a weeks vacation, during which time we were going to meet up with Chief, my Granddaughter decided to make her grand entrance 5 weeks early. Tonight, after cooking some steaks for the proud parents and myself (giving them a break to get out of the house) after taking the steaks up, I left bottom vent and top wide open. Rhiannon was very fussy, I forgot the thing was wide open...an hour later I go out to shut it down...the lid won't lift. I know that this topic has been discussed in the past but I'm FRANTIC over this. I shut it down completely down...should I have done this...and what do I do now.

Comments

• Sandi: well I think you have ruined it!!!!!! However, I will be willing to take it off your hands for a nominal sum . . . . . . Just kidding, when everything gets back to nominal temp all should fit back together again.
    Good Cooking![p]Brian[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I did this exact same thing about 3 months ago and it was not a big deal at all. I actually did mine by trying to clean the egg. I had done some chicken or something and then just opened it up and let 'er rip. After 20 minutes I shut it down, not knowing that it was LITERALLY shut down. I simply took a putty knife and gently ran it along the seam between the dome and the base. At a certain point is stuck, so I kinda poked and prodded until the knife would slide through that spot. Then I found another spot and did the same thing, and VOILA, the dome opened up and I had spared (80% anyway) of my gasket. Not a big worry but it makes you feel kinda silly none the less. Give the putty knife a shot, should do the trick for you. Its just the gasket that has melted a bit in a spot or two. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Sandi,
    High temps will tend to fry your gasket. Do like Sprinter says to loosen the dome. If your seal needs replacement the BGE folks have the part. There are also some other high temp gaskets out there but I forget who makes them. Maybe someone else will jump in here.
    JimW

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Sandi,
    Never had a problem with high temps causing the dome to not open. Have had several times when the dome was frozen shut. Hope things work out for you. I'm sure it was just the gaskets sticking together.[p]Mr Beer