Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Shoulder -- need cooking times, marinade rec, etc

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to smoke two 4 lb lamb shoulders ( bone intact). The only recipe on the BGE site is for butterflying which I would rather not do. ANy help on cooking time, marinades recommendations, or other suggestions would be much appreciated

Comments

• JBinSD,[p]I roasted mine around 325, indirect heat. For a bone in you are looking at about 20-30 mins per pound, for Med Rare. I did one about that size last year, and I believe I pulled it after 2hrs or so, which would go along with the cooking times. Check out the link below, and good luck to you. I love Lamb!
    [ul][li]Lamb Cooking Times[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    JBinSD,
    Checkout the "submitted recipes" on the BGE home page. I submitted a recipe for Meschoiu (roasted lamb shoulder) done Moroccan style. It is our favorite cook on the egg. It is a lo-n-slo cook using apple or pecan wood for smoke; about 225-235 dome temp using an indirect setup; and cooking until 200 internal for "fall-off-the-bone" tender. I may be biased, but I've not tasted lamb done better, and we always have two or three baby lambs in the freezer for Greek style grilling (hot-n-fast), simple roasts with Rosemary and garlic; and seared and roasted racks, etc, etc. Have fun!

• Marvin, are the cooking times for lamb shoulder similiar to pork butts (shoulder) for lo-and-slo? Do you have time estimates for 4-6lb lamb shoulders?
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Topo Gigio,
    They are about the same: 1 1/2 - 2 hr/lb. Enjoy!