Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potatoes

Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on making baked potatoes for the parents 60th anniversary along with the prime rib. Any helpful tips about making the potatoes on the egg? Thanks

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    LoveHandles,
    I like to nuke mine first to get them started good. Then oil them and sprinkle on a heavy dose of Kosher salt, wrap in foil and put on the Egg as soon as I start it up. Then I cook whatever I want knowing the potatoes will be done when I take them off. Works well and even tastes better than just nuking them.[p]Spring "Tater Tot" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    LoveHandles,
    I've had good luck coating with EVOO and salt/pepper then putting them on the edge of the grate 'as is' for 45 minutes at 350. Turn them over every now and then and make sure they aren't getting too dark.
    Usually this will coinside with something else like a pork roast that also needs to be cooked at 350.
    This makes the skins crispy and deelish while the center is done like it should be.
    Poke 'em with a fork just to make sure they are done.[p]Good luck!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    LoveHandles,
    i dont know who origionally posted it, but smear them with lard and then roll them in seasalt makes a great baked potato

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    LoveHandles,
    I usually coat them with olive oil, shake some salt and pepper on them, then place them on a pizza stone in a 400 degree egg for about an hour. This is for largish potatoes. Smaller ones would go more quickly, of course. I find that putting them in foil ruins the skin and steams the potato rather than baking it. I prefer the cripy skin of a baked potato.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • LoveHandles,
    I wrap them in aluminum foil and cook them for about 45 minutes on 300 degree temps.[p]Pull them out at about the 45 minute mark and place them in a covered container in the microwave.[p]Let them sit for about 15 minutes or so.[p]When you unwrap them they will be piping hot and oh so soft.[p]Also works great to make mashed potatoes.

• LoveHandles,
    Thanks to all of you for your ideas. I'm kinda thinking about the rub in lard idea. Thanks again

• Spring Chicken,
    How long do you nuke them?[p]Thanks.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    terrafirmay,
    If I'm having steak because of the short cooking time I will nuke the potatoes until they start to give a little when squeezed. Then I put the oil and salt on 'em and wrap ‘em in foil while still hot. By putting them on the Egg as soon as I light it I know they will be completely done by the time I finish the steaks in about an hour. If I'm cooking something that takes longer I just cut back on the nuking or put them on the Egg later. [p]I think by pre-heating the potatoes the oil and salt will work itself into them and produce a better flavor. [p]I tried putting the potatoes on the grill without foil and had uneven cooking. I also found that potatoes tend to be more unpredictable as to doneness than meat. This way I can control the time better.[p]Spring “Mr Potato Head” Chicken