Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature inconsistency

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At the request of some relatives visiting from Arizona, I am doing pulled pork for tomorrow evening. Since nobody will be home tomorrow after around 10AM, I started the cook at 4:00 today. My dome temperature had been rock steady for the first hour and a half and at 5:30 it was sitting comfortably at 225. We left for a meeting at that time and just returned to find the dome at 300! I just turned my head for a second.... No more than a sliver of an opening at the bottom vent. I will not sleep well tonight out of fear of teetering on the verge of extinguishing the fire, and allowing too much air to get to it and seeing the temperature rocket. Not good.

Comments

• The same thing happened to me the last time I did two butts. The only impact was a reduction in total time, by several hours. The quality of the finished product was the same as always. Not to worry. It's difficult to ruin butts even if you try.