Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I messed up, but what can I do now?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started a mess of spare ribs over an hour ago and was planning on Gordon's 3/1/1.5 About 20 minutes into it the temp had nor recovered to 225 so I openned the vents - still not coming up and then I discovered the therm tip was buried in a piece of meat. Pulled that out and repositioned meat and the dome immediately shot to 300 and has stayed there now for an hour + in spite of having it sitting with just hairline oppenings. Any suggestion on cooling it down or do I just plan to let it stay put at 300 and reduce my cooking time to compensate for higher temp? Any idea how much less time? Any tables to refere me to would be appreciated. Gordon or anybody out there???
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    RRP,
    Not much you can do but open the vent a tiny crack to keep the fire from totally going out - which would require a relite.[p]You sound like you have a mess of ribs so rotate and wait for the temps to drop. No real harm.[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]I tend to cook ribs simpler than most. The dome temp will slowly drop. Keep the top closed (it will leak enough to keep the fire going) and close the bottom to a crack. Turn your ribs so the thicker side is up and move them around to adjust for any hotter spots.[p]The ribs will be fine. They are done when you feel you can twist the bone loose from the meat. At this point, sauce and wrap in foil.[p]Spin