Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reheating pulled pork

Options
Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
During the past couple of months, I have not been able to read the forum as much as I enjoy. Recently I believe I saw a post that referenced reheating pulled pork using coke. Could someone please explain that technique? Or did I just dream this up?[p]We currently have 4 butts on the egg cooking away at 250, which should come off around 10:00 pm. Once they are pulled, we will put them into food saver bags and freeze them so they can make an 800 mile trip this weekend. We were thinking this might be a new way to “freshen them up”.
Butch M

Comments

• Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    Options
    Butch M, I put mine in foodsaver bags and freeze for later. To reheat I just put the bag in boiling water and it's as good as is was the 1st day. Jim

• Butch M,
    Ditto what Big Jim said. It works great.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Butch M,[p]The coke method works well, add a small amount of coke or dr pepper to the meat, re heat it over medium heat. The extra moisture from the soda makes the meat remain moist. I use this trick anytime I am cooking for larger groups. Put a little soda in the crockpot or other serving dish that the meat will be sitting in.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Master Mason,
    I second the Coke method, but want to expand on it a bit. Pepsi will not work - it has to be Coca-Cola and not diet Coke, nor any of the flavored Cokes. I too understand some folks prefer RC, but I've had such good success with Coke I'm satisfied.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RRP,
    I mix Coke with an equal amount of cider vinegar and liked the result. It gets the sweetness with a little bite. -RP