Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cholesterol and and low and slow cooked brisket

Options
Spin
Spin Posts: 1,375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]I have often shared BGE food with my fellow workers. Brisket has become a real treat. A question was asked from a fellow worker that has yet to taste a brisket sandwich. He learned he has high cholesterol and now limits himself more than the dietary requirements suggested. He eats no beef.[p]I am curious if anyone can provide numbers on the cholesterol content of a slow cooked brisket. The only numbers I can find concern a boiled brisket and I am not sure if they would be comparable. I remember a thread a couple of years ago along these lines, but can not recall the details.[p]Thanks,
Spin

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Spin, the subject of high cholesterol seems to pop up on this forum from time-to-time. I'm not trying to practice medicine, but... if this is the 1st reading for your friend has had, I suggest he/she contact direct family members to get their results. [p]Only suggest this because my total count is (and has always been) in the range of 270-300 - HDL is (and has been) in the range of 65-75 - the ratio (Total/HDL) is still better than most and qualifies me for preferred rates for life insurance with several carriers - I've been on parvacol, zocor, mevacor, lipator, etc - at $100-$200 per month they manage to reduce total count by about 10-20 points - with the side effects (and there can be lots), it's just not worth the results.[p]BTW - most of my direct family also experiences high cholesterol readings.[p]Life and cooking on the BGE is GOOD![p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Gfw,[p]May I print your response to pass to him (I will provide the entire thread)? He is nice fellow (no computer) that tends to hold a wide margin of difference between family and work concerns. He wants to taste the meal, yet is worried about the health problems of doing so.[p]Spin[p]