Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with cobia

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a while back we discussed doing cobiaq on the BGE. I can't seem to find any messages in ther archive that mention cobia though.[p]Any advice?[p]Fritz

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fritz,
    My book says "This is a good eating fish that is not commercially fished. If you see some, and the fish is firm, pearly white, and sweet smelling, grab it!". Also mentions that the skin is tough...remove it.[p]Mentions to grill as you would swordfish or mako shark. To me that means high temp sear, and be careful not to overcook. Try any swordfish recipe....I don't have any offhand...but sounds like a pretty flexible meaty fish.[p]Hope that helps a tad.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BillyT
    Options
    Fritz,[p]I caught a nice cobia in July and the skipper told me to marinate it in 1/2 Italian dressing and 1/2 Dales Seasoning. Dales is a product that looks like Worcestershire Sauce that you can find in any grocery store.[p]I found the marinade to be a little strong, but cobia is an excellent fish. Just grill it over medium heat and don't overcook.[p]BillyT
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Fritz,[p]Cobia (Ling, crabeater, crabcracker, etc. etc. etc.) is AWESOME on the egg. This summer I must have cooked 50 pounds of it on the egg and wish I had more to do. Cook it like you would a normal "meaty" fish but don't overcook it. I like mine direct, skin removed, until the fish starts to flake a bit. Baste it with lemon and butter during the cook, put some spices on it if you want, but the fish is perfect by itself, very flavorful.[p]BTW, did you catch it yourself? Seems WAY past the cobia season, at least for the gulf region. Good luck with it, its a special treat.[p]Troy