Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg size

Options
PRobinson
PRobinson Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I currently have a large egg. I am single, therefore I often need to cook one steak, burger, etc. Should a consider purchasing a "small" or "mini"? I don't want one that is almost useless. Anyone had experience with the mini? Also, is it a lot more difficult controlling the temperature? [p]Different question - I am not sure if I saw the answer to the question of whether you "sear" steaks at high temp with the lid open or closed. [p]Thanks for advice, I am really enjoying the information provided on the "forum". I have started a notebook to organize the information. I log on each night to "hear from the experts."

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    PRobinson,[p]I can't comment on the mini from personal experience, but those who have them love them...as I'm sure you'll hear.[p]I bought a small earlier this year and now use it more than the large. It's just as easy to control the temp, and more convenient to fire up when I'm cooking for one or two.[p]Sear steaks with the lid closed. Since the Egg retains more heat than an open grill would, steaks will cook a bit faster than you might be used to. [p]Cathy
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    PRobinson,[p]Small over the mini in my book. I've had a large since '92 and purchased a small last year. The small gets used quite a bit and does a great job. However, if you're into tailgating, the mini is the perfect size.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Puj
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    myegg2.jpg
    <p />PRobinson,[p]This is my vote.[p]Tim
  • higb
    higb Posts: 12
    Options
    PRobinson,[p]A lot of size discussions lately ... I've got a medium with just a few fires on it. It is working for me so far. Two racks of back ribs fit nicely. I like london broil steaks, and you can position one in the center or off to the side on the medium. I had (don't you love that, "had"?) to cook four big t-bones last weekend and they fit (barely). Based on the Small being "similar" to the Medium, I'd recommend that. There are lots of things you can cook on the weekend that make good lunches (or dinners) during the week.[p]So sad, last week's schedule was going to be more ribs, but when I cut into the cryo-pack ... not a good smell. Back to to one market to return those and off to a Whole Foods market to overpay for steaks of known quality.

[ul][li]good lunches (or dinners) during the week[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    PRobinson,[p]I own a large Egg and this summer my kids gave me a Mini for my birthday. I had been contemplating a small or a medium for my second purchase. I find the mini just big enough for a couple of pork chops or a couple of smallish chicken breasts but not much more. Most nights there is just me and the little woman so it's okay however I can't fit any 'taters or veggies on the grille. I love the little guy but now I have a chance (some day) to become a 3 Egg owner.
    I guess for a single person the mini is perfect.
    I have found that controlling the temp is a bit more difficult than Mr. Humpty but I'm getting better at it all the time...that little dickens get up to 700* - 800* with no problem.
    Good luck and good eating