Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for a 9-pound brisket?

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At 11:30 last night I tossed on a marinated, Char-Crusted, 9-lb brisket. I didn't insert a polder probe because it was supposed to rain overnight and didn't want to ruin it. Any ideas when I should run out into the wetness to check the temp? It's been hanging out at 250 all night long. I don't know if there is a rule of thumb for time per brisket pound.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I'd say roughly 90 minutes per pound, but that will vary with the amount of internal marbling, the brisket's thickness and other factors. [p]One of the best Egging investments I've made is a big garden umbrella - makes Qin' in the rain a lot more pleasant![p]Cathy

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Cat,
    I should do that, but my wife already thinks I'm nuts...that would push me over the edge in her mind!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I have never had a brisket finish in under 2 hours/pound (except when I tried Elder's 270 technique), and usuually end up around 2.5 hours/pound! Maybe we have slow briskets down here! How is it going this morning???
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Going well, NB. What's cooking with you today?
    Are you planning to attend Eggtoberfest next month or do Jo and I have to pick you up and carry you down with us?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    bdavidson,
    An 8 pound picnic shoulder, and a 5 pound chunk-o-chest go on the egg this afternoon/evening! Yeee ha!
    Man, I wish you and Jo could come kidnap me and drag me down to Hotlanta, but it doesn't look good. Unless something major changes, I am aiming for next year. I will be there at the DC Eggfest in April.[p]Keep us posted on how long your brisket takes, and how it comes out.[p]Enjoy the wet weather!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]The briskets I have to special order are prime so they may have more internal marbling. That probably accounts for the difference in cooking time. Every chunk -o'-chest is different![p]I've got a 7 lb. pork butt to start tonight for dinner tomorrow.[p]Have a great weekend -[p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Cat,
    I wonder if those prime briskets have less connective tissue and collagen too?? I remember yours always seem to cook quickly.
    Looks like we'll be doing simultaneous pulled pork....also looks like we will both be cooking in the rain!
    Also looks like we will both be "pigging out" on a hopefully sunny sunday.
    Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I would think connective tissue and collagen relate more to the nature of the muscle than to the grade of meat. Although steers up here probably do get less exercise. ;-}[p]Cathy