Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

briquettes vs lump

CdnQerCdnQer Posts: 23
edited November -1 in Charcoal
A buddy of mine who hasn't converted yet to the BGE (but at least he cooks with charcoal - briquettes though)was asking me about lump charcoal.

I extolled the benefits over briquettes, but then I got thinking. In the BGE, we can control how much air gets to the lump, but in a "traditional" charcoal BBQ, you have no control over this.

My question is, if he uses lump instead of briquettes, wouldn't it get to lava temperatures pretty quick with unrestricted airflow, and if so, would this melt his metal BBQ? He told me he heard that briquettes don't burn as hot as lump charcoal.

Any thoughts?

Erik

Comments

• This past weekend we had an Easter Egg hunt, which originally was to take place at our house but due to weather got moved to the Church. I borrowed my neighbors barrel style charcoal smoker and used lump (my Egg is built into a table and moving a 300lb object did not sound like fun). It worked fine although, I found that the temperature was harder to control due to the fact that the metal grill was not air tight. I actually wasted a good amount of lump as the grill even when I closed both vent still burned through the remaining lump.

As for the lump getting hot enough to due damage, probably not under normal use. Maybe is the 700-900 degree temps.
  • Having unrestricted airflow is not the same thing as having a roaring draft like you do in ceramic cookers. I doubt he will have any problem. People use lump in offsets, WSM's etc.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Steve753Steve753 Posts: 28
    I've used lump in my Weber One Touch Gold before. The good news is that it burns really hot. The bad news is that it doesn't last all that long.
    In a BGE, it's a different story.