Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salt?

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was watching a recent episode of The Kitchens Of Biro, where Marcel Biro was using various salts on a salmon appetizer. One of them was a smoked salt.[p]From time to time, people have mentioned smoking salt for later use as an ingredient. Biro's show got me wondering: when folks smoke salt, what do they use - rock salt? Kosher? What???[p]TIA[p]Ken

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I use Kosher salt. Generally, I use Hickory since that's what the recipes I made it for wanted. I put it in a roasting pan for a couple of hours. Wasn't really strong. Maybe more time and smoke when I try it again. [p]Smoked garlic is supposed to be a good treat too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    ive only tried it once, the moist grey salt for a bloody mary.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke,
    Ken here is a link to some exotic salts that I try from time to time. I enjoy an Indian Black Salt called Kala Mamak or Sanchal it is a fine sulfuric flavor and is good on some pastas and vegetables. Available in indian grocery stores

[ul][li]http://www.bulkpeppercorns.com/sea_salt[/ul]
  • Dixie_Flyer
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]i buy some hickory smoked salt at a local spice shop...it looks just like regular table salt, but as the name implies it has a hickory smoke flavor
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I also like Hickory Smoked Salt and there are a few different ones you can buy that are quite good. My very favorite is made by Spice Island which is a well-known brand. Theirs is black, hard-granular and very tasty. It's quite good on baked or mashed potatos with butter, sour cream and chives. Not easy to find but worth the effort. I special order them in 6-packs....and obviously they last a while. Good stuff and different from most I've seen and tasted......[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL