Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza tonight

Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
edited 4:11AM in EggHead Forum
pizza5.jpg
<p />Boy, its been awhile since I did a pizza. Tonight was the night. After finding my King Arthur flour full of bugs (two sealed bags) I went with another brand - guess it has been awhile since I did pizza![p]It was just my bottomless pit and myself tonight so I used a reduced batch - 2 cups flour. Here is the finished 14" pie. I did it on a plate setter and a BGE pizza stone. Slide/daisy wide open and dome temp of 575 deg. I added the stone about 5-8 min before the pizza went in - then cooked for 19 min. Wonderful and the crust was just barely done. I could have gone 21 min easily if not more.[p]Tim -- stuffed!
·

Comments

• EarlEarl Posts: 468
    Tim M,[p] That is one nice looking pizza you cooked up there. Looks
    better than anyone you can buy from the pizza store.I see you have 1/2 olive & peppers & the other just pepperoni &
    cheese. Is this for variety or orders from the family?

Earl

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Tim M:[p]That is an excellent looking pizza . . . But about the old King Arthur flour, a little extra protein never hurt no one . . .[p]Have you ever tried cooking a pizza with a stone & setter combination pre-heated for twenty to thirty minutes? How did the pizza turn out?

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    djm5x9,[p]Preheating seems to be needed only if the crust is not done. I have never preheated anything in the Egg 30 min. The Egg is up to temp in 20-25 min and I hold it there at 575 for 5-10 min to clean out the remains and so the smoking stops. Then I add the pizza stone and go in and put the pie together on the peel. That takes 5-8 min and I slide on the pie. I did one where the stone went in 10-13 min earlier but little difference. I normally do two pies - not this big though. The 2nd always is done before the first so if you have only one you could get away with more preheat.[p]Tim
    ·
    Earl,
    My picky 17 yr old (who wrecked his car again - I need you here Earl!!) only eats pepperoini. I left out all the corn meal this time and I liked it that way. [p]Tim

·
  • Tim M,[p]I find that pre-heating the stone for about 30 minutes simulates what the pizzarias do to get a crisp crust without overdoing the top part. Some of the best pizza I have ever tasted comes from Pepe's in New Haven CT and they told me they preheat their wood-fired oven several hours before using and cook at about 600 degrees.[p]Peddler

·
    Peddler,[p]While it may work, I would test it in the Egg with your setup and not go by what Pepe's does --- unless ofcourse if they have Eggs and pizza setters and BGE stones - then do what they do. [p]T
    ·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Tim M:[p]Do you use spacers between your setter and stone to eliminate hot spots? Or are your cooks one or two pizzas and the cook is over before hot spots are a problem?

·
  • Tim M, your pizza picture has me salivating. While looking for something else, I just came across this crust recipe. I'll try it the next time I do a pie.

[ul][li]Boboli Type Pizza Crust[/ul]
    ·
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Tim M,[p]A great looking pie for the most part. Just not enough meat on it for my liking. hehehehe[p]K~G

·
    George ,
    That looks like it would work well. You could leave out the garlic and cheese and it would be what I used. It's worth the effort and quite easy! I use a mixer w/stand and dough hooks which makes it easier.[p]Tim

·
    djm5x9,[p]No spacers - never heard that mentioned before but it would seem to be contrary to what the ceramic is there for. I want the ceramic to slow down the heat to the crust so the toppings can cook and both be finished at the same time. Opening a space between the two would allow heat in the space but also would limit the heat transfer from one to the other. I am not sure which would be best for insulating the pie crust but its never been an issue for me. I once tried to burn a crust and couldn't in 25 min. The crust was way too hard but it didn't burn. [p]Tim
    ·
    porksh.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]I don't know - your pie (pictured above) just seems like too much meat for me. The KennyG "Meatza,Meatza,Pizza" looks too meaty for me.[p]Tim
    ·
  • Tim M,
    Hey, Nice Butt!
    R&J

·
  • Tim M,[p]That's the way I cook on the Egg. The pre-heating and temp info I got from Pepe's just confirmed that their great pies were cooked in the same manner as mine. [p]Peddler

·
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    Peddler,[p]Good call. I too use a setter and stone, and pre-heat them for 30 minutes prior to baking the 1st pie. The crust and toppings come out like champs. As long as you control the temp, you can bake a couple hours worth of pies on the Egg without burning the crust. [p]Puj

·