Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

STARTING FIRE - HELP!

Options
Jackbythesea
Jackbythesea Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me a good way to start a fire in my Large for a 250-300* cook. I use Weber starter cubes (2) with a Weber starting chimney, BGE lump. I light the lump in the chimney and when it's going good I dump it in the Large. By the time I close the lid the dome temp is around 550 - 600*. Sometimes I have killed the fire trying to bring the temp back down for a slow cook. I'd really appreciate some help on the proper way do get a slow cook started.
Thanks,
Jack

Comments

• jackbythesea,[p]For low and slow, forget the charcoal chimney and put one Weber fire cube in the center of the lump that is in the cooker. Leave the lid up with the bottom vent all the way open until the flame goes out on the cube. Close it up and wait until the temp gets to about 225 degrees and start cutting back on the vents and get it dialed in at your cooking temp.[p]Dave

• Jackbythesea
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Thanks! Stupid question, do you put the cube under all the lumpin the center or just place it on the top of the lump? After the cube burns off and you close the lid and get the fire between 250-300 how long do you wait to put the meat on the grate?
    Thanks again!
    Jack

• jackbythesea,[p]After I fill the firebox with lump, I just make a little hole in the top of the lump and place the cube. After I light it, I will move a few small pieces of lump around it but not cover it up and it will give you a good start. [p]For something like butts and brisket, I load the meat just as soon as the cooker is on temp. [p]There are no stupid questions, but there are many stupid answers.[p]Your charcoal chimney is the best way to light the cooker for higher temp cooks and is by far the most efficient for many of your cooks so don't throw it away. [p]Dave

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    jackbythesea, I'm a mapp gas user, so I start the fire by lighting one spot in the middle of the lump for about 1 minute. I then close top and leave the vents wide open. When it hits about 225-250 I close the bottom vent to about 1/32 of an inch and the top vent about the same. For about a 350 temp my settings are as follows, wait till about 325 and leave the bottom vent wide open and the top about 1/4 inch open.

• I do the same setup but light the lump in 3 places for about 45 sec. in each place, close the dome with everything wide open and about 15-20 minutes it sear time.

• Jackbythesea
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I'll try it today! How can you have a bad cook when everyone is such a big help! Thanks,
    JR

• Jackbythesea
    Options
    Tack18k,
    Thank you so much! Maybe I'll go to the hardware store today and get a Mapp torch. Is that like the old "Burnzamatic" that you use for soldering?
    JR

• OctoberGlory
    Options
    JR,

After you get your MAPP torch order the Club from the folks at the link below - you'll be very glad you did. MAPP torch + Club = Quick, Easy & Dependable fire starting.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=28&idproduct=116

OctoberGlory
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    jackbythesea, get yourself one of those propane powered weed burners... cheap to use, lotsa fun and has other practical uses too(weed killing)... check "northern hydraulics"... they have there if you can't find one at lowes/the depot...

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    jackbythesea,
    I also use a Mapp torch with the BBQ Guru Golf Club (see link). It was and still is my favorite way to start up the egg. For low and slow I just light in the middle and for high temp cooks I usually light the middle and 3 - 4 places on the outside egde.

[ul][li]Guru Golf Club[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    jackbythesea,
    its the 1/2 inch tip one not the tiny one. Home Depot has a two bottle set for $39.

• jackbythesea,
    We always use the chimney. We have the Guru golf club but always use the chimney (maybe because we've never bothered trying the "golf club"

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jackbythesea,
    just skip the chimney starter. all that blazing lump is too much for a lo and slo. it is like revving your car to the red-line for ten minutes so that your car is warmed up enough to drive 20 feet.[p]put the starter cubes in the lump in the egg, on top. light it, and let it do its thing.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante