Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice needed on a Butt injection

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a Southwestern/Mexican injection experiment and was looking for a some suggestions. I've cleaned up a bunch of dried chilies: Ancho, Guajillo, Cascabel, chipolte and New Mexico Red. I'm planning on toasting , rehydrating and pureeing them. While they are pureeing, my current plan is to add: liquid: rehydrating water or stock, Mexican Oregano, black pepper, dry roasted garlic, toasted cumin seeds, a touch of clove and/or cinnamon and salt. It's basically a Rick Bayless Recipe from his 1996 book. (If you have never made something like this, try it.)[p]My question is what fluid should I use to cut this for an injection? Fruit juice, beer, stock, plain water? I think I may try this on a Chuck Roast too.[p]Thanks in advace for your input.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I do a El Charro Salsa De Chile Colorado sauce that has a few less ingredients than yours, but I do boil the dried peppers until soft and then use the cooking water to thin the paste after blending to make it a sauce. For a marinade I'll add some cider vinegar and some fresh herbs & onion slices.[p]Oh...back to your question, Cooking water and/or beef stock may work well for thinning.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I just tasted the rehydrating water & it's sweet which means I did't burn much. So, that's what I'll use.[p]I'll have to look up that Sauce you mentioned.[p]Thanks again![p]bryan
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]Here is a link to one version.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    [ul][li]Chili Colorado[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery