Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neoprene Gloves

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was in Ace the other day and decided to buy some $6.95 neoprene gloves they had. Used them the other day to cook a butt and they were really useful throughout the cook.[p]I used them at the start to pull the grates, move the charcoal, set the lump starter and more. Pulled them off and easily washed them and later used them to turn and ultimately pull off the cooked butt.[p]They made the whole process much quicker and easier for me. My only unknown is with their fire protection. Hopefully they can handle a limited fire flair up, because they did handle those items that were quite hot just fine.[p]Have any of you used these and if so can they handle limited flair ups? [p]Thanks as always. Frank

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Franco,[p] I have a pair of NEOX neoprene firefighter gloves (see TimM's pictures from Eggfest2000). People were using them to clean the coals out of the BGEs that needed to go to their new homes at the end of the day so I assume they are fairly fire resistant ;-). Don't know how they compare to what you got.[p]MikeO
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Franco,[p]I've been using gloves just as you've described for several years. They are very convenient for the initial handling of greasy grills and charcoal as you set up for the cook.
    Also for handling hot foods when you need to do a bunch in a hurry such as pulling a dozen half chickens out of the smoker or clam bake steamer I don't know for sure but they should be able to handle a short duration flair up. When it's time to remove your high temp steaks from the Egg after the "dwell" period, I'd rather be wearing some serious BBQ mitts however.[p]BTW, my first pair of neoprene gloves would have lasted me a good long time if I had not tried to remove the pizza stone from my Egg too soon after the bake. If you ever need to replace yours, look for a brand called "Bluettes" (Ace, TruValue, etc). Less bulky for handling smaller items. You can buy your exact size and they have a textured finish to help you get a better grip on slippery items. About $6 a pair.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    xxfest014.jpg
    <p />MikeO,[p]Dr Kildare at work with his Mickey Mouse gloves.[p]Darn good pulled pork too!!!!!![p]Tim