Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Butt quesions....my first

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I finally got up the nerve to do my first Boston Butt. I had a 6 and 4 pounder on a rack going indirect. Went to 200 degrees and maintained that for the first 3 hours then had to leave. Came back 7 hours later and found the dome temp @ around 150. Got the temp back to 200. Check 3 hours later (3 in the morning)and found it right on the mark. At 7 a.m. the dome was still at 200 and the internal meat temp was at 168. Problem, had to leave and didn't get back for another 7 hours. Now the cook had been going for 24 hours. When I checked it the dome was at `150 and the meat slipped back to 140. I just opened the vent and let it go to 275 and cooked it to 200 degrees internal. It was very tender....it fell apart when I tried to get it off the grill. Problem ..... a little dry. Question: is this because of the long cook? Any experience on this?[p]Captain BBQ

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    CapainBBQ,
    About 4-6 hours too long.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    CapainBBQ,[p]For a cook that long, internal temp is a less reliable guide to doneness than the fork test: stick one in the meat and if it twists easily, the butt is done. The internal temp may be only 180, but you've cooked it long enough to break down all the internal fat & collagen - which is what makes this tough cut tender. (I've cooked fall-apart butts that never went over 165 internal.) No need to go to 200. I suspect that's why the result was a bit dry.[p]Finished meat temp is a function of many factors, including cooking time and Egg temp as well as the characteristics of a specific piece of meat. [p]This is my opinion based on my own experience and observations; you'll get other suggestions. Try them all and see what you prefer.[p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    CapainBBQ,
    I have been sticking with 250 dome temp for indirect lo/slo cooks. Cooking times are more realistic, the temp is easier to maintain, and the fire seems to burn cleaner. A six pounder takes about 15 hours. The long cook could have easily contributed to your dryness.
    Good excuse to try another one, Cap'n!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    CapainBBQ,[p]I always wonder why so many cook at 200 deg - that's awful low and hard to hold for a longggg cook. The fire size is pretty small at that temp and if you don't get the lump "falling in on itself" the fire often goes out when it can't progress to unburnt lump, as you found out. Holding 250 dome is better. Physics tells us that getting an object to 200 deg internal with a 200 deg surrounding temp will be harder (takes longer)than if the surrounding temp is 250 deg. Most everyone also bumps up the temp about 25-50 deg after the meat temp hits the plateau, at around 160-180 internal, to spead it up. I trust the PP was very good - dry can be fixed with sauce IMHO so enjoy.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, I guess I'm also guilty - I generally let it stabilize at about 210/220 and go to bed - next day I let it rise to about 250 until it hits an internal of 200 degrees. [p]Next time I think I'll just start at the 250 range and see what happens. Since supply is getting relatively low, next time will probably be pretty soon. Have a great evening!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I have found that 200 is hard to hold and 220 is much better and 240-250 easier yet and it really doesn't hurt the meat since its indirect anyway. Your Med Egg might be somewhat different than the large but I bet not much. It was really meant as a suggestion to our new family members, not to someone who has more than a few hundred cooks under the his belt (if you know what I mean there). [p]Tim
  • WallyQ
    Options
    CapainBBQ,[p]Pulled pork is a favorite around our house. I try to hold mine 200 - 225 overnight, then kick it up the last few hours to 275 or so until 200 internal. I also like to wrap mine in foil the last couple hours, it definitely adds moisture though some think foil is against tradition. I add a nice homemade mustard bbq sauce to the pork once pulled. It's a South Carolina thing. [p]Have fun!