Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Temp?

Options
michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to make pizza tomorrow (Saturday) for my dad on his new BGE. This will actually be my second try. The first time didn't go over well because we weren't able to attain a high level of heat for any duration of time.[p]So, how do I get the oven as hot as possible for as long as possible? Real pizza, at least the Neopolitan version, needs to cook at 700 to 800 degrees for about two mintues. At least that's what I'm shooting for.[p]Please help me get there.[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Michael,
    I think it is going to be tough to get temps that high with a pizza stone in place due to the restricted airflow. Maybe with a fan forcing air into the fire? Use plenty of lump, clean all the airpaths, make sure the firebox is lined up correctly with the lower vent, maybe use Cowboy lump since it seems to burn hot and fast given enough air. Be careful at those temps![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Michael,
    I just did two pizzas for my crew at work for lunch. I had Royal Oak charcoal and no damper on top and the bottom vent wide open. It maxed out at 550 for the first pizza and then settled into 450 for the last one. (oh yeh, the wind was howling.) I have a rather large pizza stone 16" which could have impeded the flow of air. So that squares with what the Whiz was saying. But at 550 the pizza was great. It took about 15 min. for a 15" pizza. Oh, I recommend using an aluminum pizza pan because the stone (on plate setter) do get hot. My pans allow for a little air underneath. This way top and bottom both get cooked at the same time.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Michael,[p]Seven hundred degrees is quite possible. Load the egg well with fresh lump and light it is several places to get it going well. If the pizza stone has a inch of space around it, that is more than enough to reach these temps. Close the lid and take the dome completely off until temo is reached. The entire egg needs to be allowed to reach temp before cooking the pie.[p]Cook with the bottom vent wide open and regulate the temp with the top vent. The hottest I have cooked a pie at is 900. Very fast cook and a very good pie.[p]Best of luck.
    Spin

• michael
    michael Posts: 47
    Options
    Spin,[p]Regarding pizza temp … at 900 degrees did you have a problem with too much char on the bottom of the crust? If so, how did you deal with that? Two stones?[p]Thanks,
    Michael

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Michael,
    pizza screen or perforated pizza pan between the pizza and the stone.[p]you can wipe the stone with a damp towel too before putting the pizza on.[p]but the stone should be in there as the whole thing is coming up to temp.[p]oh... you will probably need to lift the stone up above the level of the lower rim. otherwise i don't think you'll have enough free-area around the edge of the stone to keep the draft needed for 700+. ...might be wrong, but i noticed the draft got better when i raised the stone on either a couple firebricks or on a raised grid (or platesetter if you have one).[p]also makes putting on/taking off the pizza much easier.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Michael,
    I've been up that high, but you need to build some experience and make sure the egg is well heated. I've found that then the pizza stone is 700 or above, you lose a lot of heat when you open the egg, and it doesn't seem to recover well. IOW, the dough will cook quickly on the bottom, but not the top. Also, at those temps, make sure you do not add any sugar to the dough recipe. The sugar will surely burn before the dough is ready.[p]I've found that at about 500, there is enough time for the heat to build up in the dome and properly cook the top as well. [p]Let us know how you make out... and what procedures you followed.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Michael,[p]Yes, I use the a plate setter with a pizza stone on top and cook directly on the pizza stone. The cook was a two minute cook and was wonderful. Any pepperoni that was sticking up from the pizza was well browned and the topping were well down but not too much.[p]A pizza cook should always be done to cook the crust to perfection and then adjust the cook to make the toppings the way you like.[p]Spin