Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ceramic left-overs

Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
edited 5:40PM in EggHead Forum
ceramic1.jpg
<p />Ever since I drug "old gassy" out behind the shed - I have had the ceramic BBQ squares. These replaced the lava rocks in my gas grills and they are about 2" square and about 1/2" thick. The have a honeycomb look with thousands of holes going straight thru them. The hype is that grease drips in and burns up - self cleaning. As you can see they stain but high heat cleans them really well. I have had them in before at 500-600 deg to see if they could take the heat and they did. I have them so I am playing with them today since I needed a heat shield to do 3 racks of babies. This covers more area than the firebircks or setter and lets air go through. Might be a nice accessory. Just shows you that you can still use some old gas grill stuff. [p]Tim[p]
·

Comments

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Tim M,[p]Looks good to me! Just another toy to add to an egg![p]Smokey
    ·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    ribset26.jpg
    <p />Smokey,
    My wife says I have too many Egg toys - but she is wrong again![p]Ribs are on the grill......... As GFW says, Life is good.[p]Tim

·
  • HootHoot Posts: 1
    I've used these same ceramic squares for years as heat shields...they work pretty well. It's good to see that others pick up on the same type of ideas. I put the rib rack right on top of the squares though and its works great.[p]Hoot[p]
    ·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, you win - after looking at the picture I'm off to the butcher store - Ribs & Life are GOOD!

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    ribset28.jpg
    <p />Gfw,
    These were wonderful!![p]Tim

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,341
    Tim M,
    Alright..that does it! Just took a couple slabs of babybacks out of the freezer.
    Hope you and the guests/family enjoyed them!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·