Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

flap meat results: tasty but not tender

The VirginianThe Virginian Posts: 275
edited 1:11AM in EggHead Forum
I ended up mixing the two marinade recipes offered by the generous patrons of this board for fajitas made with flap meat. The meat was very flavorful, but it was also very chewy. We cooked it on a hot fire to 140 degrees, and cut it thin across the grain. Is this just going to be a chewy piece of meat no matter how it is prepared, or is there something I should be doing differently? [p]Thanks,
Brett

Comments

• The virginian,[p]How long did you marinade it? Maybe you should have marinaded it longer, that would help tenderize it. [p]E
  • Eggecutioner,
    8 hours.

• The Virginian,[p]Seems like that would have been long enough. Maybe it's the flap meat. I haven't used that. The meat I used is Choice flank, doesn't seem like it would be more tender. Did you let it rest before you sliced her up? I just don't know. I would say try it again, and go for a longer marinade.[p]E