Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Boneless Chuck Roast

Options
John
John Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello -[p]My wife bought a 2.8lb boneless chuck roast. I was like "wtheck is this?" Okay those weren't quite the words I used... Anyway, any thoughts on the best way to BGE this thing? I was thinking around 220 deg for 6 or 7 hours. But it's kind of lean compared to a brisket or ribs, so that might not be the best thing. Other options include cooking it on the stove in a pot like the cooking instructions suggest. bleh. [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    John,[p]Chuck roast are very good cooked low and slow, cook the holly bejesus out of it and pull it like pork. It's gonna have to go past 200 degrees, keep chekding it and when it's real tender it pulls good and makes for some good pulled beef sandwiches.[p]
    Rick

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    John,[p]I'd cook it like a pot roast on the egg. Rub it, brown it, put it in a pan with some broth, grilled carrots and potatoes. Cover it with foil then finish it in the egg or the oven while watching the race.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    John,
    i do a lot of brisket flats for the jewish holidays "pot roast" style on the egg with very good results. . .following is a post i did a while back (although i've lost the pictures). .. depending on how long you leave it to cook will depend whether you get something 'sliceable' or whether you turn it into somethign more 'pullable' ... .pretty similar to what drbbq described, but by going the first hour without the foil, you get the meat and juices to absorb some of the flavor from the egg, and if you want some smoke infusion you can get it during that first hour ... HTH[p]i wanted to try to do a traditional passover brisket for my mom's next week, but figured i'd better try it out at home first. . .so i got a nice small 3.5 pound first cut brisket and did it saturday in the egg. .. .now, mom has always done her's in the oven this way. . .put the brisket in a large pyrex dish, pour one packet of liptons onion soup mix on top, take the packet from the soup, fill it with a hearty red wine and throw that on top, seal it up good, and stick it in the oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours. .. .walla, passover brisket. . .[p]here's what i did. . ..put the brisket in my le creuset, put in one packet of lipton's onion soup, then the packet full of red wine, stuck it in the egg (raised grid over inverted plate setter at 350 degrees dome temp). . .i didn't seal the top of the pot at first, figured i'd leave it open to absorb some of the egg's magic (btw, no wood in the fire, i didn't want it smokey, just the little bit of smoke from the lump). . .after about 1/2 hour, i added more wine to keep it up to the level of the meat. . .after another 1/2 hour, i added a little more wine (i was losing some to evaporation), baby carrots and pearl onions. . at this point, i did seal the pot good with 2 layers of hdaf, and then left it for 2 more hours (a total of 3 hours). . .took it out and as you can see, it sliced beautifully, was very moist and fork tender, and the liquid from the pot w/ carrots and onions was fabulous. . .i also made a nice kugel (i was being very ethnic), and the meal was fabulous!. . ..i will definitely be doing this for passover next week and taking it to mom's. .. .[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome, your recipe sound great, except for one small things...before you put the meat into the pot, put in a little veggie oil and brown the meat on both sides real good....then go with your recipe..........

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    nodock,
    thanks, i know a lot of folks who brown their briskets/potroasts first....i've been doing them "mom's" way for years .. . it was hard enough to convince her that they were better done on the egg (long story, but one time she asked me not to do them on the egg for passover. .i did it that way anyway, and she said, thinking i'd done them in the oven, 'that's a great brisket'. ..GOTCHA mom LOL). .. but i will give that a try sometime as well. . .the other thing you can certainly do, is brown it directly on the egg as well. .. couple of minutes per side, then into the pot. ..that would probably also be good. ..