Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib question for Tim...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tim - I notice you do your ribs at 2.5/1.5/1 vs. Gfw's 3/1/1.5. Do you have a reason for this variation? Just curious.
Jerry

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    jerry,
    You may be referring to a recipe from my web page. I use that sight literally as my cookbook. It is not stagnate and not set in stone - it's dynamic in that I change it and alter the recipes and methods as I improve or try them. I have done ribs in a dozen different ways, so I "can" say what I like and don't like and why. The 2.5-1-1.5 method works and works well but I prefer the 3-1-1.5
    3-1.5-1 works too. Sometimes I do a variation based on the time needed before we eat. Nothing is set in stone![p]
    Tim

• Tim M ,
    I only asked because, unbeknownst to you, I have appointed you as my personal rib-cooking guru because of your outstanding website - I consider you the expert! Thanks for the reply - I have noted your comments.
    Jerry

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    jerry,[p]Ribs are good and Tim M is indeed a guru. I've never tried this newfangled 3-2-3.1415926-2 method, but my interest has been piqued with all its mentions of late.[p]I gotta say, though, that Smokin' Todd has become quite the ribmaster himself and has done so by keeping things tremendously simple. No dry seasonings plus 4-5 hours indirect over water filled drip pan. Baste with an hour or so to go with Stubbs brand Marinade. After the 4-5 hours, coat heavily with sauce and grill direct at uber-high temps. Flip a few times to char in the sauce while adding new sauce with each flip.[p]Juicy on the inside with a crispy flavorful sauce on the outside (being a sauce-aholic like Tim M, I even like to use a dipping sauce sometimes, too).[p]As Paul Simon once said, "There must be 50 ways to cook your ribs"...or something like that...[p]Cornfed
  • jerry,
    There is a interesting post on "grilldome.com" forum, by Danny on doing ribs at different temperatures. He brings up some interesting ideas as to advantages of higher temps for carmalizing meats.
    Everyone has their own taste buds and therefore preferences, just thought this might be of interest.

• Thanks for the info, Old Smokie. I love it when people do scientific-like studies of these things - I will try both methods (lower and higher temp) and choose my own preference. I agree with general consensus - it all depends what you're aiming for!

• Tim M
    bbac2.jpg
    <p />jerry,[p]Well thank you, I feel that I am very good at doing ribs. My website started because no one here was able to send pictures of what stuff looked like. C~W was always talking about firebricks and when I found some and posted a picture of them for the whole world to see on this forum, the forum members went crazy with joy. I have just kept on adding stuff to the site since then. I use the cookbook section every time I cook, so it actually is for me to refer to before a cook to see how I did the last one or if I made a suggestion at the bottom of a page to try next time. The fact that anyone can view it is a bonus I guess. I change it as I decide on better temps and times. One huge disadvantage of a recipe is that its cast in stone was published but not mine on the dynamic website. The key to ribs is to try lots of things and see what "you" like best. [p]The picture above is the one that started it all. I think it was the first picture on the forum of the BGE (KennyG started posting gif images). Its before my Large Egg was "upgraded". The picture shows the firebrick layout that C~W was tring to get us all to understand then but it was hard to visualize - the picture made it real easy.[p]Tim M
    segg1.gif

• Tim M
    Old Smokie,[p]Danny is a pretty closed minded guy who owns a resturant and can't afford to waiste time make wonderful BBQ when OK fast BBQ will sell at the store. He is fixated on what a BBQ judge (oh they can't be to closed minded can they) would choose so every contestant then tries to please those judges so in time everybody tries to make teir BBQ taste like the judges want it to taste like. I could not care a hoot about what a judge likes or what wins at one of those contests (I can't duplicate it without a $12,000 rig so who cares) - I like what I like and if it comes out better indirect - then that's how I like it. He never has tried a long cook, and he won't try it either. Many here tried to get him to but he is more closed minded than my father-in-law. He hasn't tried ceramics either. He may have fooled with every metal monster smoker but he is no expert to me.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    I don't think Old Smokie was attacking your methods (anymore than Danny was) but I wonder if you even read Danny's post before you responded? He did his latest test on a "ceramic" grill dome. And as regards "closed mindedness" I read him as saying whatever works for you is best for you.
    Bye the way if you check out Danny's site - he does slow cooking in his 3 - 4 ton smoker. You don't need to be quite so defensive - there are other opinions out there.

• Tim M
    Wanderer,
    Yep, I read it and came to my conclsion based on it and several posts he has made here. When I mentioned ceramic I did not mean the cooker - I meant using ceramic inside the cooker to shield the food from direct radiation of the food. This does several things that he hasn't tried to even do. He says he would not even serve food to his customers that was cooked more than 4-6 hrs -- if that isn't narrow mindedness, then I haven't seen it in my life. He cooks to serve food to people who will pay him for it because they don't know better and probably think they are eating high on the hog and it must be good, but I have had good and I have had great and there is a difference and I know it can't be great in 4 hrs!! Not pork butt anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Tim