Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So here goes... What's pulled pork?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Be kind to the newcomer.

Comments

• Bud Jones,
    Pulled Pork is the result of cooking a Boston Butt or Pork shoulder low and slow until the meat is so tender that it can literally be "pulled" apart. I think that Pulled Pork is one of the easiest, yet incredibly good things you can cook on the egg. Go to the recipe section and follow Elder Ward's recipe for pulled pork. Skip the part about sorting the lump. I assure you that this will be ampng the best meals you've cooked.
    Pulled Pork is very common in the south. In fact people here in Tennesse refer to pulled pork as "barbecue"

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]Pork BBQ, shreaded pork, pulled pork, chopped pork bbq, minced pork bbq - it's pulled pork. You cook the pork butt or picnic (both make up the pigs shoulder) for about 2.5 hr per lb which will take about 19-22 hrs. Some resturants and BBq joints do theirs in 6-8 hrs but for the really best it takes longer. Cook to internal temp of 195-200 deg and start shreading the pork. Add sauce, cold slaw, etc on a bun and eat.[p]Tim
  • Fireball
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    Pulled Pork: A Boston Butt, or Picnic, cooked @ one and one half hours to two hours per lb over low temperture (225 to 250 degrees) until the internal temp is 200 degrees. After resting, the pork is pulled apart with two forks. Served with BBq sauce, baked beans, cole slaw, and banana pudding.
    Fireball

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S12_02_9918_39_00.jpg
    <p />Bud Jones, every one did a great job explaning - for a view of the cook and the result, check out the link.[p]Welcome to the forum![p]
    [ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    My experience here in the Forum is that these folks won't allow you NOT to try something! You have the best information you will ever find on the net and more support than you will need. Pulle Pork sounds a little challenging but don't worry about it. Try it. My first one was a nail biter...all for no reason. Now it's sort of like doing a steak only just a little longer. My family and friends always ask if I'm doing PP soon.
    Lastly, any question you don't ask here in the Forum is asking for trouble...help is just a keystroke away.
    Carey

• sw6Mvc-009e.jpg
    <p />Hi Bud,[p]Old Dave here with a 50/50 chance of posting a picture of a pulled pork sandwich. Don't do this very often and am about as dumb as a box of rocks with computers so I will give it a try. Hope it comes out ok.[p]Old Dave

• Tim M, I fixed pulled pork last weekend, and found that it is not the internal temperature that counts, it's the long cooking. Here's what happened: I didn't have all day/all night to cook the pork shoulder, so I adjusted my BGE to around 275-285 degrees. I was cooking a small shoulder, and using a Poulder thermometer to monitor internal temp. It only took a few hours to reach 200 degrees, but when I "poked" at the meet with a fork, it was still very stiff and un-pullable! So, I wrapped it in heavy foil, lowered the temp on the BGE to about 215, and cooked it for another 3 hours....falling-apart tender! The upshot: I don't think we can say with certainty that pork shoulder will be tender if cooked to 200 degrees...it depends on how fast you reach that temperature!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]The reason only these two cuts are cooked low and slow is because of the nature of the meat. These cuts are from the upper front leg and lower shoulder area of the pig. Being very well used by the pig, the meat tends to have a lot of collegen and grissle dispersed throughout the meat. The long, low temp cook dissolves the collegen, grissle, and fat into a great and different flavor, leaving tender, moist meat.[p]The cook is well worth the result and I encourage you to try it. Give a shout if we can help.[p]Spin

• Gfw
    Options
    07_08_0016_03_01.jpg
    <p />Spin, Lets make that 3 cuts for long, low and slow![p]I used an English Cut Chuck Roast about 4 inches square - prepared and cooked it just like pulled pork and had about the best pulled BBQ beef that I have ever had. Check out the link and have a great day! [p]Today it is sunny and 75 in Peoria with very low humidity - almost perfect!

[ul][li]Pulled Beef BBQ[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gfw, can I use a vension cut for pulled meat? A friend is offering up what he calls footballs (cut from hind leg oval shaped and weighs about 2 1/2 pounds)for me to experiment on. Do you think low and slow will make it tender enough to pull?

• Spin
    Options
    Gfw,[p]If we are going to include the cow along with the pig, I'd call it 4 cuts as a brisket is a wonderful thing :-).[p]Weather finally broke from HHH today. Getting clearer, drier, and cooler![p]Spin

• Spin
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Trying to make pulled deer is the long way to shoe leather. Venison is very lean and wouldn't fare very well with a long, low temp cook.[p]Vension from the hind quarter benefits best from a nice soak in a marinade designed to soften the stronger taste and help in tenderizing. Flavorings are optional. The cook would be a roast. I can't help with a wood for smoke flavor.[p]Unfortunately, I don't have a good marinade recipe available as I don't hunt deer (too expensive here in NJ). I will ask around and email you if I can come across one.[p]Spin [p]

• Gfw
    Options
    Wise One, I think Spin is right on track - venison is typically very lean - I'd look to a long marinate - don't know how Teriyaki venison would be, but I know that it works great on beef. Check out the link.[p]Also check out Sublime Smoke (SS) or Smoke & Spice (S&S) -each has a recipe. SS= Cranberry Venison Backstrap and S&S = Wine-Spooed Venison Scallops[p]
    [ul][li]Teriyaki?[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Spin, please eMail it if you find it. I've got plenty of venison available (from people who are more successful at hunting than I would ever be) and I am determined to find a recipe that even my wife will eat.

• Bud Jones,
    I like to use Boston Butt, smoked at 200-220 degrees for
    18 to 20 hours or until meat temp reaches 190-200 degrees.
    I have found that thoroughly cleaning the EGG of all ash helps to unsure no flame outs. It's a little extra work but it's worth it. I have felt the pain of finding a cool EGG
    at 3 o'clock in the morning and haveing to relight.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]What is Pulled Pork?[p]It is a whole hog. Slow cooked over seasoned hickory wood pre-reduced to coals. Traditionally cooked on an open pit by indirect method (Coals lined around and below the pig but not directly underneath) and later by use of a fire pit that sent heat and smoke into a chamber beside or above the fire pit (modern methods). It was mopped with a vinegar solution that had black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes for flavor and to keep it from drying out on so long a cook. The shear volume of meat required it to be cooked slowly or you burnt the outside and had raw meat inside. That was and is the only reason it is cooked so long and slow. After 24 to 36 hours plus, depending on the size of the hog, the meat literally fell off the bone and the large parts were pulled apart or shred or chopped to make it manageable to serve. Depending on what part of North Carolina (previously the hog capitol of pre-revolutioniary times) you come from (it supposed origin)it is and was called Barbeque (in all its spellings)Pulled Pork, Chopped Pork and several others long since forgotten names by the various indian tribes there and in the Caribbian islands.
    Some even say that it was a cross between the indian and black mans methods. Which there is probalbly more truth to than most white folks back home would ever admit. I could beat this up for hours and from several different angles but you get the idea.[p]To give credit to all my brothers and sisters in the BGE forum let me now say. All that they have said is true in part or whole, because we and they have adapted those cuts of meat to this method of cooking. And those two are the best pieces if you can't or want do a whole hog. You can even speed up the method as some have alluded to with higher heats because of the thermals of the ceramic cookers or by pressure cooking/steaming with foils and such. It will all taste good and impress most everyone who eats it. [p]This is my humble opinon: It will always be a different flavor and in my mind and on my tastebuds a better meal when you can spend the time to do it over 24 + hours and is worth all the hassels. [p]I will tell you this, you don't have to seperate your lump by size to get this to work, but I am the only one here that has done a 72 plus hour burn on a single load of lump. In front of 75 plus people at a memorial day weekend camp out for our Presyterian church. A partical list of items cooked: PP 24+ hours, Brisket 22+ hours, Tritip 12hrs, Bacon, eggs, hamburgers, hot dogs, ect. Friday from 12:00 pm to Monday at Noon and still had a coffee can full of coals I had to put out with water from the river. You can do it anyway you like, but like anything else in life it is attention to details that seperate the great artist from others. That doesn't make them bad just not a detail person. [p]All this was said with love in my heart and was not a personal attack on anyone.[p]If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Welcome Back!
    RhumAndJerk

• Elder Ward
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks my friend but as you may see that was written after midnight and I still do not have a lot of time to spare. But just could not resist that one.:)[p]I had a great time eating ribs and talking lets do it again some time.[p]Elder Ward

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    When I can get back out there, we will get together again.
    RhumAndJerk