Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you clean the egg ?

Options
Paula
Paula Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have had the BGE for about a year now and just love it. One problem however is that with the many uses with many types of food (some quite greasy) the egg is getting coated in black thick residue.[p]The taste and smell of the residue is starting to effect the flavor of food cooked on the BGE now. This is a big problem.[p]How do I clean this out ? Conventional oven cleaner ? How will this effect the ceramic ? I would like to restore the interior to the original condition if possible.[p]Any advise out there ? I would sure appreciate.[p]Thank you and best regards.[p]Paula

Comments

• Paula,
    I've had success using a wire brush and paint scrapper. I haven't tried to restore the ceramic to its original unseasoned state and can't imagine why you'd want to. When my daisy wheel gets too sticky to open easily I soak it overnight in detergent. Perhaps Cascade or some such similar product would, with elbow grease, do the trick for your BGE. Good luck.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Paula,
    Had my Eggie for over a year now and the interior is a little black but, I haven't noticed any change in the taste of the food that comes out of his big green belly. Sometime back though I recall there was a discussion on just this subject and the guru's seemed to agree the best thing was to crank up the heat to 700* - 800* for a few minutes and that's what I've done from time to time...no food on board just heat...sort of like a self cleaning oven
    I'm sure you'll hear more from the forum.[p]Carey

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Paula,[p]I agree with Carey. Crank up the Egg to high and let the heat vaporize all the crud inside. I just did that this morning; took it up to 650-700. After about an hour, all that was left inside was powder, which brushes away easily.[p]Cathy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Paula,
    This is an easy one. Go buy some 2" thick filet mignons. Add seal salt and pepper and toss on the Egg at 750 deg which you have been steady holding there for 20 minutes. Then remove the steaks and add the daisy top and leave it wide open. Now eat dinner and when done the egg will be ready to shut down - its clean. Adding the daisy top prevents "Egg temp runaway" so it doesn't needlessly go upto 1000+ degs.[p]Also - doing a pizza will clean it if you use a few firebricks and or a pizza stone or two. The key is just high temps for a period of time and it self cleans itself. It won't be bleached white by any means but it won't "add" its own taste anymore either. If yours never or seldome sees 300+ deg - then you may have to hold the 700-750 deg temp for a little longer. Have fun -- you can sub any good steaks - no use going to searing temps without doing a steak at the same time. [p]Tim

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Tim M, I'm just getting started but that was the first thing I did when trying to clean the BGE. I kind of learned it from cleaning up my now seldom used gas grill.[p]CWM