Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What about housefires?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm on the verge of buying an Egg, and have kept up with the BBQ newsgroups for awhile. I often see owners talking about cranking their ceramic cookers the night before, then going off to bed. Is there no concern of a housefire as a result? How hot does the outside of the cooker get? (A former lady friend of mine, a firefighter, would have kittens at the thought :-) ).[p]Also, looking at some of the recipes (the Elder Ward pulled pork in particular) I note that some of the measurements, most likely fractions, are represented as encoded characters. Unfortunately, my browser displays same as assorted Greek characters, often variants of Pi. Could the BGE recipe
maintainers please convert same into literal fractions please, ala 1/3 Cup?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Steve Holzworth,[p]Cooking overnight is always done with the Egg temp in the 200-250F range. I can hold my hands on the dome (hottest part) at these temps. My cousin is a fire inspector and has no problem (after seeing it in action).[p]Spin

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Steve Holzworth,[p]The display glitch you mention seems to be linked to the Mac OS. I have the same problem with Netscape but not with iCab.[p]The BGE recipe maintainer is our terrific Webmaster, who stepped in when his dad - who built and nurtured the forum - passed away early this year. He supports us as time permits. If you need help deciphering a recipe, just ask here and you'll get a quick response.[p]I hope you decide to buy an Egg and join in the fun![p]Cathy
  • Fireball
    Options
    Steve Holzworth,
    To protect the floor of a porch or patio you can put down a flexible concrete mat (which is fireproof). Buy them at Lowe's home improvement store. Lowe's stock munber is 117446. I use one under my medium egg which sit on it's feet atop a table. I am finishing up Pulled Pork (a low and slow @ about 225 to 250 degrees and the botom of the egg is cool to the touch. Like Spin says, the dome is warm, you can still hold your hand on it.
    Fireball

• Fireball
    Options
    Cat,
    I running a Mac with OS9 (before 9 I was using 8.5) and I have never experience the fore mention problem.
    Fireball

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Fireball,[p]Maybe it's Mac Netscape, then? Although Steve is apparently using iCab and that doesn't solve the problem for him.[p]Cathy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Cat, all characters have a value ranging from 0-255 - unfortunately, only the 0-127 characters are standardized - the characters from 128-255 vary depending upon the fonts being used by the browser - as a matter of general web design, the characters from 128-255 should be avoided.

• Gfw
    Options
    FAQ_Gr1.jpg
    <p />Steve Holzworth, like Fireball, I also use the floor mat - under my BGE in the Picture. Good luck - you'll love the BGE!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Gfw,
    Do you actually fire up the BGE indoors on what looks like a screened porch?[p]What color is the ceiling?

• Gfw
    Options
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />SmokinJohn, only for the last year - my 1st anniversary with my BGE will come on September 29th. It is indeed a screen in porch - here's a better picture. No rain, no snow, no sleet, etc. - no problems![p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Ofcourse, that white chair is now chocolate brown. hehehehehe[p]
    Timmy

• Gfw
    Options
    Tim M, actually there is a ceiling fan in the peak so in the last year I can honestly say that nothing has changed color and there are no smut marks etc. - works really great. The only damage that I've done to the deck is that I accidentally dropped a drip pan and stained the wooden floor.[p]