Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody know where to get a 16.5 inch diameter round grid

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
6tiergrid001.jpg
<p />Anybody know where to get a 16.5 inch diameter round grid[p]Following a couple suggestions, I made this cylinder grid holder for the large bge. It sits on the fire ring, can be multi-level and does not encumber access to the lump. A large BGE grid can sit on the fire ring, and/or on top of the cylinder. It is 6" tall and puts the top grid 7" from the dome's top. On the inside of the cylinder, there are four levels to place another grid or pan. All you need to do to change levels is move two/three horizontal support brackets. It takes about 30 seconds. The interior grid is 16.5" in diameter. [p]I made the 16.5" stainless grid but it is a pain in the arsp to fabricate. So, does anyone know where to get 16.5" grid? I'd like to have another 16.5" grid for 2 potential interior grid/pan set-ups. I've search but can't find a source. A bge 15" grid will work, but I am trying to do some house cleaning on grids and keep just one/two sizes per egg.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Holy spot welding Batman.....that looks nice. How are the fingers on your gloves holding out?[p]Would cutting a cast iron one down to size work?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    thirdeye, fingers are good from welding, it is the bench and hand grinders that got em.....ouch.[p]Cast iron is an option, but trying to find something not as heavy.[p]My hunch is this will work better than my adjustable swivel deal. Not as many options for placement but no hassle keeping up with parts. Keep them in the egg.[p]I just put a boneless turkey breast on, top grid, and forgot to add the pecan chunks. To add the chunks, I just picked the whole unit up and took it out for a moment, with turkey on, dropped in the chunks and replaced. It even surprised me how quick and easy it was. Now we will see how the 1/4" stainless holds up....[p]Enjoy the game....[p]Tom[p]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    try lowe's or homedepot they may have some of these for other round grills available- Great job & good ideas in your fabrication
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Great looking work.[p]What are you using to fabricate the rings?[p]Wirebender, rollers, jig?[p]Inquiring minds...[p]BIg T

• Sandbagger
    Options
    BigT, planetary ring roller, I got mine at harbro freight, also found on ebay...Tt

[ul][li]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36790[/ul]
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Thanks for the link![p]I "need" me one of those- great price sealed the deal.[p]Big T

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Planatery Ring Roller.....Ahhh Grasshopper, maybe the answer to your 16-1/2" grate question lies in the name of your tool. Why can't you roll a series of concentric rings, from 16-1/2 down to 2", lay them out and then use pieces of straight round stock spot welded to hold them in place? You may not have the same warping problem as the last one if you staggered the welding.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    thirdeye, that is a lot of planetary action. Maybe I need to build a universal jig that will allow for any size grid. I built a 17.5" jig before using 5/16" nuts welded to a base. Slip the 1/4" round bar through the nuts, and they are held in place, no warping from welding. Unfortunately, I cut it up, needed it to make other stuff. I thought my grid making days were over..........Dang it. [p]Tom