Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cookers

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a slow cooker that they really like? I purchased one, a Rival, at BBB yesterday to make a Taco soup. The top didn't fit well at all, allowing heat to escape. I've looked over the internet and can't find one that anyone is particulary happy with. On a side note though if you want something different for the game tonight go to foodnetwork.com and pull up Paula Deen's recipe for this. It was FANTASTIC!!! The only change I made was to add some fresh halapenos.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    dawgtired,[p]I have a Rival slow cooker. I think it's Oval and 5.5 Qts. I used it a bunch when I first got it, but now haven't used it in a while. I was just given one of those Rival BBQ Crock Pots for Christmas, though, which I like a bunch more. It has racks which allow you to raise the food out of its drippings so it doesn't braise/stew in its own juices. If you're looking for food more similar to BBQ (though not really since you don't get the nice caramelization), it's not a bad gadget to have.[p]I've used this in tandem with a stovetop smoker a few times with good results. Basically smoke the food on the smoker for a half hour or hour, then into the BBQ crocker for some slow cooking. You get a nice light smoke flavor and some tender food. Not as good as firing up your real BBQ, but it's not bad if you want to stay indoors.[p]Pros are it cooks nicely, can double as a normal crock pot (just don't use the racks), and the innards are dishwasher safe. Biggest cons I've noticed are it takes up a bunch of shelf and it smells like BBQ for a while after each time I use it no matter how much I clean it.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Cornfed, I don't think smelling like BBQ for a few days is a "con".

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dawgtired,[p]I'm hooked on the Nesco cookers. They have removable inserts and have an infinite heat control from 150° to 450°. Not only great for cooking, steaming etc, they are outstanding for keeping things like PP & brisket hot for serving.[p]I have the 6QT and the 18QT.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Nesco[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dawgtired,
    what are you buying those things for??? you already have a slow cooker, its called the BIG GREEN EGG ... .stuff i used to cook in my slow cooker, like stew, just goes in a pot on the egg ... i've also prepared soups in the egg. ... just start em on the stove, then move the pot to the egg to simmer as long as you want. ..