Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a large egg for about 10 years now. All I use it for is smoking. I usually smoke shoulders or Butt. I have also had great success with duck and lamb. My question is about cooking time vs weight. Normally I will smoke for about 15-20 hours. I'm thinking about getting some pork butts and cutting them up, removing the bone, and using butchers string to tie them up about the size of a softball. If I do this will i be able to only cook them about 8 hours and get the same result.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Steve,
    Maybe it's just me, but I think a butt cooked with the bone-in has a better flavor and more moisture than boneless. That said, as long as you keep the temp low, you should get good results in a shorter time. You will have a greater ratio of bark to meat. -RP

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    AZRP,[p]You are right about leaving the bone in,If I remove the bone and do it like this I am going to chop it and sauce it down good. Noemally with larger bone-in butts, I dont use much, if any sauce because the meat is just to good and juicy.