Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Smoke--This corn starch wing-thing just isn't working for me

Rib-Rob
Rib-Rob Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I read all the reviews about the crispness. Mebbe I'm doing something wrong.
I tried it on my "GO-TO" wing recipe, which is "Blue Smoke Hot Wings". I've done it a dozen times, and probably converted 2 or 3 folks to buy a BGE in the process. I saw all the raves, and did my normal prep, and "dredged" the wings in corn starch before the normal cook. They looked really good, but when I tried one of them, it was like the cornstarchmonster was trying to suck all the moisture out my mouth. Should I try a "sprinkling", instead?
The recipe to which I refer is as follows:
*BLUE SMOKE HOT WINGS
5 lb. separated wings
1 cup orange or lime juice
4 oz. can diced red jalapenos or diced green chili
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp Szged hot paprika
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp lime or lemon pepper
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp chipotle powder or cayenne
2 tsp powdered ginger
Puree all. Marinate wings 2–3 hours. Remove and reserve marinade. Egg wings, indirect, 2 hours @ 230º dome, basting every 1/2 hour with reserved marinade and turning after 1 hour.
By the way, I need a reload of your "line". e-mail me when you can.

Comments

• Rib-Rob,[p]I've used CS 3 times now and have found a "good dusting" works best.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Rib-Rob,
    Sorry about your wings. Two ideas - I think you're on the right track dusting/sprinkling rather than dredging. [p]I'd also try removing the wings from the marinade and patting them to get rid of most of the surface moisture. And I wouldn't baste them as they cook.[p]I'd also increase the temperature to 300 and reduce the time accordingly; maybe an hour?[p]Check your e-mail.[p]Ken

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Rib-Rob,
    A dusting at best - I do not use a lot of cornstarch, certianly do not dredge in it. Make up your wings like you always do, then a real LIGHT dustong of cornstarch - I sort of pat it on to kind of work the corn starch in.[p]Give it another try!!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    "Dusting". Aha! I'll give it a try. Thanks.

• BlueSmoke,
    I'll give this a try, although it might be difficult. That marinade is sooooo good I want more, not less. Your recipe is KILLER.
    I've been doing these @ 250°, on a Large, direct, with the grid elevated by fire bricks. Thanks for the info. Rob

• Bigfoot,
    I will get back on that horse that just throwed me and try the dusting. Thanks.

• BlueSmoke
    Rib-Rob,
    If it's "more" you want, why not put the reserved marinade in a saucepan and reduce it to about 1/3 the original volume (adding cornstarch if necessary to thicken) to serve as a dipping sauce with the finished wings? (Haven't tried it, but it seems like it should work...)[p]Ken

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    BlueSmoke,
    Hi, Ken. Have you done the cornstarch with this particular recipe? The marinade looks wonderful![p]I wonder if this is one situation where two great ideas don't necessarily work best together. To both you and Rib-Rob...what is the texture of these wings at the end of the cook when you do not use cornstarch? [p]To Rib-Rob, to get the cornstarch effect, try it on about a dozen thighs that you season with a dry rub or herb mix first. Then a light dusting of cornstarch. One tablespoon or even two teaspoons is good for a dozen thighs. Pat the thighs a bit to spread out any blobs of cornstarch. Total coverage is not necessary, but you do get total crispiness. Tiny holes in the skin and all that...[p]Sounds like your wings may have had a bit too much. Good luck!

• BlueSmoke
    Trouble,
    Got to confess; this recipe comes from my pre-cornstarch days. As written, I think the wings will be too wet to be dredged with CS. As I said below, I'd try patting them dry before putting them on.[p]Sans cornstarch, the skin is tender; not crispy at all.[p]Ken

• Trouble,
    The original recipe is awesome. I turned and basted every 20-30 minutes and they came out a little crispy. Just right for me. They are a little on the hot side as well. But even people who don't particularly like a lot of heat can't keep their hands off of them. And I think you're right--my wings had way too much CS. I'll try your method and let you know. Thanks,

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Rib-Rob, I tried the technique the othe rnight and both my wife and I thought iwas great. However, I think it is important that you pat the chicken dry of any marinade, sauce or other moisture before dusting. Also, you only want to let it cook. No sauce or anything else. This is a great substitute for fried chicken not for BBQ chicken. We did a package of thighs (skin on) and skinless breasts. They were both excellent. However, the next time I will definitely pierce the skin before putting them on. The grease almost exploded out when I bit down on that first thigh. It was great though.

• Wise One,
    OK, thanks for the info. I'm more interested in the "BBQ" than the "fried", so this technique may not be the one for me.
    Re: "..both my wife and I thought i was great"--I'm not even gonna ask "at what?" You da man! Rob