Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt - first time

Options
TulsaMurph
TulsaMurph Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay gang, 90% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow, 1/2" - 3/4" expected, finally a chance to get the charcoal glowing again. I bought two Boston Butts for pulled pork, both are labeled "Pork Boston Butt Roast", both same price, but one was fresh packaged and one was cryovac. The fresh packed looks more like the cut I expected to see, with a bone in it, the other looks somewhat similar, but no bone. Are they both the same thing?

My plan is to use a plate setter with drip pan on top, probably some apple juice for a little flavor. Both have been rubbed and put in the fridge. On the grid I plan to put the two butts, with plenty of air space around them. Any reason that would not work just fine?

I have a V rack, but would like to cook both at once and I don't know if they would fit nicely on it. I am thinking 235° for 8-10 hours (combined weight of 5.6 lbs) until internal temp hits 190-200°. Sound about right?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Wiggle Wart Willie
    Options
    TulsaMurph,

You have the right cut I do prefer the bone in but have good results with cuts without. I cook mine two at a time with the setup your talking about I like to keep the temp between 220-230 and I never get to 200 internal temp. I usually plan on 2 hours per pound and add about 2-4 hours. For the size your talking about 12 should be good. After you push through the plateau and start moving again I bump my temp up to 250 to finish it up.

Good luck
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! They have been on about 9 hours or so now and are pretty close to 170° internal. My temp has been running a little high, closer to 250 on average, a little under and a little over. Sure smells good, we'll see how it all turns out.